Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
6,356 Posts
I personally think that African Butterflies (Pantodon buchholzi) add a great deal of animation and interest to a tank like that. They may not be all that colorful, but they are just cool fish to have in the upper level of your tank. In my experience, they get along well with all of the fish you currently have in the tank too.

Angel's are another favorite show case fish of mine that work well in a tank like yours.

I know, boring, but cool.... :)

· Registered
6,356 Posts
Jan - Do the butterflies have a tendency to jump? I do need a little activity in the upper layers, but most fish that live there often try to go flying. The back of the tank has a pretty large opening. I absolutely love angels, but they've always intimidated congos in my tanks. Someday I might try altums in the tank though.
Yes, apparently they do to an extent, but not as much as something like a Hatchet would. I've never had a problem with them getting out of the back opening of my tank like I did with the Hatchet's. I think the big key there is to have a few surface plants for them to hang out under, so they feel secure.

I have about a million of the common Kribs (want some? ;) ), and they are beautiful fish, but as stated, they breed like bunnies. I know Tony Orso has some of the more uncommon varieties like you have pictured above, so he might be a source, if you're looking.

· Registered
6,356 Posts
Congrats Bryce! Let us know how it goes. :)

Oh yeah, I definitely remember how hard it was to find anything but the norm in this area, and even if I did ask my store to order them, they'd get it wrong and argue that the scientific name of the fish I asked for is the same as something completely different.....

· Registered
6,356 Posts
Well, did you get them?? ;)

Out of all the breeding places mine like, here is one of their favorite types of cave.
Breeding Cave
They also really like something like a 2 or 3" untreated clay pot that's turned almost all the way upside down, with just a little slit for them to slip under.

· Registered
6,356 Posts
Wow, they are indeed beautiful Bryce. I can't even imagine how colorful they're going to be when they start breeding.

Jan, do those caves have an exit as well as an entrance for water circulation? They seem like they would blend right in with the tank environment very well.
They come in all sorts of configurations, but most of my fish like the ones with just the front hole. I suppose they feel more secure that way.
Yes, the do blend in very nicely and I've had to add a ton of them to the tanks so all of the fish have one to call their own. :)

· Registered
6,356 Posts
Great catch on the shimmy action Bryce, and great video! Bohemian Rhapsody?? LOL!

Sorry I missed your prior questions on the caves (I don't know how), but it looks like you have it covered. :)
Like I said before, another thing that works well is the 3 or 4" untreated clay flower pots that you can find in places like Wal-Mart for about 35 cents. If you just turn them upside down at an angle and leave just enough room for them to belly under, they absolutely love them.

Keep us posted on the progress. :)

· Registered
6,356 Posts
Congrats Bryce!

Do y'all think they have a chance to raise them in a community tank that's this busy?
I'd venture to guess that even if you do nothing to intervene, you'll get at least some survivors. If you want to use a bit of a safety net, it helps greatly to stick some sort of a night light (not moonlight) on the tank until the fry are big enough to fend for themselves.

· Registered
6,356 Posts
I'm glad to hear they're doing well Bryce.

Yes, I'm always amazed that any of my fry survive with the community I have in my 125, but I'm almost considering giving them birth control at this point... ;)

I'll look forward to photos of the "kids".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.