Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I need a strainer will fit a 1/2" diameter tube. I'm using CPVC to plumb my latest project with and can't find a strainer to fit the intake tube. I've looked all over the Internet and looked about a thousand different strainers...trouble is I can't find one anywhere that is listed to fit with pipe with a 1/2 OD.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Jason

·
Registered
39 Posts
Maybe you can use the pipe itself as a strainer. Put and endcap and use a hacksaw blade to slice some slits into the pipe.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe you can use the pipe itself as a strainer. Put and endcap and use a hacksaw blade to slice some slits into the pipe.
That's probably what I'll end up doing. And painting it black afterwards. I was just hoping to find something a bit more "professional" looking.

The pipe measures 0.63" OD BTW.

·
Registered
69 Posts
That's probably what I'll end up doing. And painting it black afterwards. I was just hoping to find something a bit more "professional" looking.

The pipe measures 0.63" OD BTW.
Cutting slits in the pipe has never proved to be a long term solution for me in planted tanks. Two problems come to mind:

The plant debris clogs up the slits.

Small snails get through and the input at the impellers of the pump (in my case, an iwaki 40r) get clogged.

You need a genuine prefilter with a large pore sponge. I'm surprised that you couldn't find what you needed at jehmco.

·
Registered
226 Posts
your not looking in the right places i made one for a 3/4 and the strainer was with a MNPT and screw right in to my PVC. They do come in ether FNPT or MNPT 1/2 ,3/4,1,2 inch an in Black or Clear, I got my at a LFS
Here is one place that i know of that has the MNPT Strainers :http://www.aquaticeco.com/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts