Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Nitrate (and other nutrients) uptake in my tank is almost stalled. I have enough NO3, CO2, light, PO4, K - I measured all of them... well except for light... :)

Macrandra looks horrible which tells me that if I continue like this then more plants shall look bad. Currently other plants look OK plus minus and growth/pearling is average.

I suspect manganese/molybdenum/zinc/whatever deficiency!!

I am using CSM+B for traces - but problem is that they are chelated. They don't break as fast as I would like them to break. So if I try to dose 1/2 gram per 160 gallons I can measure an increase in the chelated iron - it actually goes beyond the 1.5 ppm of my test kit - not 0.1, 0.2, not 0.3 - ... 1.5 ppm !!! So while flourish iron (or ferrous gluconate) provide biologicaly available iron to my plants - seems like traces are having hard times.

Now for the questions -

1) How much ppm per day can CSM provide without chelate accumulation?

2) What's the recommended ratio between iron and manganese? Can there be interference in the levels that we dose in our tanks?

3) Is there any one out there dosing micros using CSM along with plenty of flourish iron? Does the excessive iron block manganese?

4) What could be a cheap source for non chelated traces? Flourish trace is not a cheap solution in the long run - I have a 190 gallons tank. I am looking for a product with abundant manganese sulfate and/or sodium molybdenum.

5) I noticed that many medical products contain traces. Is it possible to use those? There are vitamins as well. I know they wouldn't harm the fish but can they harm the plants? I believe that B family vitamins (B1 ?) are used in some fertilizers so maybe it's an advantage after all?

Aviel.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Hi Aviel,

what is your KH, TDS, Ca and Mg?
The TE CSM+B been used by many people and it does work just fine.
CSM+B 0.5 g in 160 gall / 600 l => 0.058 ppm Fe
Lfs Fe test kits never worked for me, not using any for a long time.

Edward

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Edward,

Thanks for taking the time to read through this

GH = 6 with Ca:Mg ratio of 4:1.
KH = 6,
TDS... - dunno.

Right, 0.06 ppm Fe, but if you dose it daily then the chelates accumulates faster than it breaks. And in order to get 0.20-0.30 ppm Fe daily you need to at least tripple that and that's just impossible, it accumulates. Test kits could be off by 100% fine - but if mine shows way beyond the 1.5 ppm upper limit - then still it is an evidence that something is wrong. No?

Aviel.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.