Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new tank and i wanted to get 3 clown loaches. Do you think i should treat the fish for Ich when i first put them in, or wait and see if they will get before i put the stuff in? :?

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Welcome to APC! Thanks for becoming a member.

It is always a good idea to quarantine fish if possible. That being said, I've never done it and have never had to deal with ich in a healthy, planted aquarium.

But to answer your question, don't treat the fish unless you are sure they have ich. :D

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I'll add onto what Art said....be careful if/when medicating a tank that has loaches and other scaleless fishes, many medicines are harmful to them. Your best bet is to quarantine them beforehand and then just be careful with your tank. In a healthy planted tank fish rarely get sick.

Best,
Phil

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I think the best defense against ick is a properly functioning heater. As long as the tank stays at a stable temperature they should be okay. The only time I have had to deal with ick is when I either didnt have a heater or it wasnt working correctly and the tank got cold at night and warmed during the day. The temp fluctuations stress the fish and make them more susceptible I believe.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks

thanks, so far there has been no problems with them in the quarantine tank. I'll update you if there are any problems with them!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts