Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

I started a new planted tank one month ago. I introduced some fishes into it. After a week I noticed Ich on them. As I didn't want to disturb natural cycle in my plated tank, I moved all the fishes into a new tank and treating them there. I left couple of my shrimp in the planted tank though. I am not worried about the fishes and the new tank.

When it comes to my planted tank, how long does it take for Ich to go away from it without adding any Ich medicine? I have dozen species of plants. I am not sure what is the safest high temperature I can set up for the plants in order to speed up Ich's life cycle. If somebody can share their experience I would be very grateful.

Thanks,
Prashanth

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
A month of no fish in the tank should get rid of them. Ich meds should be safe for plants. Get ones without Methylene blue, that'll stain everything blue. 80F should be fine for plants.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A month of no fish in the tank should get rid of them. Ich meds should be safe for plants. Get ones without Methylene blue, that'll stain everything blue. 80F should be fine for plants.
Thanks for your suggestion. Does ich medicine kill beneficial bacteria in aquariums?

·
Super Moderator
2,637 Posts
I am not sure what is the safest high temperature I can set up for the plants in order to speed up Ich's life cycle. If somebody can share their experience I would be very grateful.
Once the ich swarmers are released from the fish, they have to attach to a fish within 2-3 days. Otherwise, they die. Overall, ich completes its life-cycle in 3-6 days at 25C (77F).

Thus, once you have removed fish from an ich-infested tank, you should be able to introduce new fish without problems after 6 days.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Once the ich swarmers are released from the fish, they have to attach to a fish within 2-3 days. Otherwise, they die. Overall, ich completes its life-cycle in 3-6 days at 25C (77F).

Thus, once you have removed fish from an ich-infested tank, you should be able to introduce new fish without problems after 6 days.
Snails or shrimps can't be hosts?

·
Super Moderator
2,637 Posts
Snails or shrimps can't be hosts?
Textbook literature (Ed Noga in Fish Disease) indicates that fish are the only hosts for Ich swarmers. There is no mention of any other host.

BTW, I got rid of Ich on my Ich-pimpled fish by moving them into new water every day for 5 days. Swarmers from the pimples didn't have time to develop, attach to fish, and form new pimples. It was a lot of work, but I cleaned up my fish without any chemicals.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts