Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I set up a 10 gallon tank for a quarintine tank. I used two 10 inch square plastic containers with soil and saf t sorb and planted about 20 baby Amazon swords. The tank cycled in about 5 weeks never having fish in it. I then bought 5 rummy nose tetras and 3 cardinals to increase the numbers in my main tank. About the fifth day (after not paying close enough attention to the tank) I noticed that they were all covered in ich. Lost all three cardinals before the second day of treatment. I've never had ich in all the years I've kept fish. My question comes after I went back to the LFS and what he told me. His explanation as to where the ich came from was probably from a drop in water temp which caused them to stress and become infected with ich. Temp in the tank from day 1 of setup with or without fish was 78°. If I understand what I've researched on ich, it has to have fish to survive. So one or more of the newly purchased fish would have been infected. Is this a correct assumption?

·
Super Moderator
5,737 Posts
Welcome to APC!

You are correct. A drop in water temperature might stress the fish, but this danger is greatly exaggerated. Ich organisms must be present for fish to become infected no matter how stressed they are. It possible that the free-swimming stage of ich was brought to your tank in the water your new fish came in from the store.

Sorry you are having this problem! I suggest that you stop shopping at that store.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your response. I live in a city where there are only 2 fish stores other then 2 Petcos and 2 petsmart. I've never had enough confidence to buy fish from the big boxes. The two privately owned stores can't keep fish in stock, so I'm pretty sure they're really not kept in back for more then a day or two, if that.

I always dump my fish out of the water bags into a net after they've been floated, then into the quarantine tank. I'm sure as small as these cilliates are it would only take one drop of water to introduce ich into the tank.

As many excuses and reasons why the fish from his store were not the cause I didn't push for any replacement. But I may consider the big box stores for fish in the future. They would probably offer some comp. for losses.

·
Super Moderator
2,637 Posts
As to stores, I think it's the actual management that counts. Do the fish look healthy? Are there dead fish stuck on the filter? Are the sales people knowledgeable?

I had very good luck with one PetSmart where the employees were fish keepers themselves and very involved in the care of "their fish." The store also gave a 2 week guarantee on fish.

Another option is to order fish from Wet Spot (Portland Oregon).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Diana for weighing in on my post. I'll check out the Wet Spots web site. I live in the midwest and during winter months I've ordered plants and had the source delay shipping because this time of year it can be in the high 50s yesterday and high of 16 today. I've never ordered fish online. I know people have success.

Like Michael said, the quarantine tank saved my established tanks. The ich showed up on the 6th day and I just wasn't watching close enough. I lost about 2/3rds of my purchase. Twelve hour shifts, lights off in the am when I went to work and off when I come home. Will definitely watch everything more closely. (New and established.) Sometimes learning comes in hard lessons.
I have a soil planted tank. Have read through your book twice and I'm constantly referring to it as I plan for a 2nd planted tank. Again I'm waiting for spring weather and warmer temps. so I can order plants and not come home to find them frozen on the porch.

·
Super Moderator
2,637 Posts
There's a time for everything. Keeping fish healthy is much harder than most people think.

In the meantime, enjoy your plants!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts