Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
I personally have had the best success with raising the temperature to 85-90 degrees and doing a half-dose of a commercial ich cure containing either methyline (spelling?) blue or malachite green with salt.

Also, keeping the temperature in the 80-84 degree range consistently won't hurt your fish and will usually curb most outbreaks of Ichthyophthirius.

·
Registered
852 Posts
jsenske said:
With due respect to all the above mentioned suggestions- the easiest way to get rid of the ich - even on cardinals- is to use good old QUICK CURE. It says use a half-dose for tetras, but I have dealt with this countless times of the years of doing maintenance for clients and I can assure a 2/3 the recommended dose will knock out any ich within 3-4 days. It is absolutely harmless to the plants, and the blue color is kind of cool for the 30 min. or so it lasts. I have done close to a full dose on cardinals for first day or so with no ill-effects also. I have never lost shrimp either. Just recently, in fact, I had to dose a tank for about 8 days at 2/3 recommended dosage and all shrimp are totally fine.
This blue color is probably the methyline blue or malachite green (which is really more of a deep blue) that I mentioned above. I too find it particularly effective, but I also like to raise the temperature in order to a) help get rid of the the ich and to b) get the fishes' metabolism to work on fighting off anything secondary that might try to hitch a ride.

skylsdale,

I have a feeling that if it were true that heat does not kill (or at least deter) ich, people would have had far less success fighting it off using heat. If heat does indeed speed up the ich, I think affected fish would be covered before long...instead of getting better.

I have tested this before using platies and no treatmeant (heat or otherwise), and the ich did not "run its course", it killed the fish in three days.

·
Registered
852 Posts
skylsdale said:
I actually had all the silicone seals on one of my tanks permanently stained turqoise from adding meth blue a LONG time ago. But I doubt it does anything to acrylic or "hard" plastics.
It will also stain driftwood, but the dye leaves the wood after a few weeks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts