Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Raising temperatures doesn't kill ich--it only allows it to move through it's 'stages' more quickly than you usually notice at 78*F or so. You never completely rid your tank of this thing...it just sits dormant, and if a fish is stressed or going through something that affects its immune system, that's when ich begins to progress through its life cycle. So, you could dump all sorts of chemicals in, scrub it to kingdom come (or even by a new tank and decor for that matter)...but as soon as you put your fish back in, know that they're bringing it right alone with them.

I haven't had a case of ich in over 6-7 years, but even then I didn't do anything special: I just let it takes its course and finish on its own. Sometimes turning your tank into a chemical soup or drastically raising your temperatures can add undue stress to the already stressed fish, which can ultimately do more harm than the actual ich. The ich runs its course, the cysts on the fish drop off, they acclimate to the tank, and hopefully you'll never see it again.

In my experience, maintaining a stable environment and solid water parameters will do a fish far better than trying to do a bunch of fixes--they will see the parasite through, and be nice and healthy afterward.

·
Registered
157 Posts
"...and heat does speed up the metabolism of the organism, thus forcing it more rapidly through its one vulnerable stage. Higher heat (above 86º) may stress the parasite." (taken from: http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/docs/health/ich.shtml)

Salt will kill the parasite...but not heat in and of itself. Heat simply speeds up its life cycle to get it to a stage where you can try to eliminate through some other method.

I would highly suggest everyone to check out the above link.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I actually had all the silicone seals on one of my tanks permanently stained turqoise from adding meth blue a LONG time ago. But I doubt it does anything to acrylic or "hard" plastics.

·
Registered
157 Posts
It may possibly not kill ich, but raising temp should put the aquarist at an advantage, right?
That's what I said, isn't it? My point was that heat alone doesn't kill ich...yet a lot of people believe that it does.

My philosophy (which many may not agree with) is that a certain amount of natural selection is still healthy, even in our captive systems. I keep things fairly normal (parameters, etc.) in my systems, even when illness breaks out. I let things run their course. If something dies...then it dies. In the wild fish are constantly prone to disease, parasites, etc. As I said earlier, none of the tropical fish I've kept in the last 6-7 years have ever suffered ich or a similar infestation--and I NEVER quarantine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts