Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've read that only raising the temperature does not necessarily kill this disease. In order to properly kill it, you'll need to slowly raise temperature 1 degree every day to 85 degrees and add antibiotics. Once you get rid of it, bring the temperature down one degree a day.

Lives of fish are not guranteed during the temp raise, but this is a common sacrifice people have to make when they get ich. Once Ich is gone, fish that were infected before tend to develop an stronger immunity, but that doesn't mean they can't get it again.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Came straight form the article you told us to read.

"Adjusting the setting on the heater will do the job; don't try to raise or lower water temperatures faster than a couple of degrees an hour. Higher temperatures result in speeded-up metabolisms, both for the parasite and for the fish. Above a certain temperature (86oF is often quoted) the heat-sensitive parasite will be stressed. Its life cycle is interfered with, and it might even be killed."

It may possibly not kill ich, but raising temp should put the aquarist at an advantage, right? I know not everybody's comfortable with adding medicine to the tank (i'm not), but there's no proven method that says ich will disappear if you wait it out. THat's only if the tank runs out of hosts to thrive on.

I'm not a wiz, please correct me if i'm wrong.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts