Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lost all the fish in my 55g aquarium because of Ick. It's so terribly sad whenever I have to look at an empty tank where a thriving community of fish once lived.

The tank is well planted and looks beautiful and I would like to restart it. The people at the fish store say I should wait 30 days before adding new fish. What do people in the community think? I don't want to have to wash the gravel, etc. I'd rather take the tank down.

If I do add new fish in 30 days, I still fear ick. I was thinking about adding a few feeder fish to see if they stay healthy. If they do, that's great, they'll have a new home and live a long life. If they contract ick it won't be so bad because they are going to be eaten anyway. What do people think of this idea?

Thanks in advance,
John Pansini

·
Registered
39 Posts
30 days isn't necessary. Turn the heat up in the tank to 85, this speeds up the life cycle of the parasite, and ensures that they can all be affected by any meds. Remove any filter carbon, Treat the water with an over the counter pick med and do some serious water changes.
Yours should be easy since there is no livestock in the tank. As for feeder fish, it's a tossup, they may already be infected. I'd avoid gold fish as they seem to be less susceptible due to their scaling. Maybe find some rosy reds, which are feeder minnows.

Good luck

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
A true quarantine is 3 months. No fish monger does that.

The problem with the freshwater hobby today is that diseases and weak fish are very wide spread. Even if the disease is diagnosed precisely and a cure is known there is no guarantee that it will work. The pet fish business is cruel, that's all there is to it. Like all businesses involving people and animals.

Buying fish from anywhere except an actual breeder is a lottery. Most times you will get bad fish that will gradually die off. If you get healthy fish you got lucky. I'd say the odds are 1 to about 7-8.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks, Niko. The store where I bought the fish is known for selling healthy fish. All of the fish in my tank were bought there. I recently added new fish, 6 tetras, and about a week later I noticed the ick.

The store claims it was not their fault, that there are always parasites in a tank. Who knows? They wouldn't even give me a break on the medicines I bought to treat the ick. I might give them a bad review; I'm not sure yet.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks, Niko. The store where I bought the fish is known for selling healthy fish. All of the fish in my tank were bought there. I recently added new fish, 6 tetras, and about a week later I noticed the ick.

The store claims it was not their fault, that there are always parasites in a tank. Who knows? They wouldn't even give me a break on the medicines I bought to treat the ick. I might give them a bad review; I'm not sure yet.
This could be partially true. The ick parasite is often present, but doesn't really show itself until the fish's slime coat is compromised by stress/environmental factors.
I wouldn't be too hasty with the bad review, especially if you plan to continue shopping there. It's tough to balance a real interest in the hobby and a profitable business. I would kill for a privately owned fish store here. I drive an hour and a half back home to go to a small shop that takes care of his customers. I know he struggles due to unwillingness to sell sick or even incompatible species. Fickle consumers simply drive to pet land or Walmart and buy whatever with bad information.

·
Registered
39 Posts
No prob, not trying to preach lol, I just hate that all the small LFS and even suppliers I went to as a kid are gone because they can't compete.
Keep us updated on the ick issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts