Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone id this red stuff? It grows on the glass below gravel line and somewhat on the gravel itself. The tank has been set up for years as a fish tank, the last 3 as a planted tank.

It scrapes off as a sheet from the glass down below gravel line. I've never seen it on any plant or driftwood, only rocks and little on heater. Is it some kind of algae, bacterial film? Is it something to be concerned about?

All tank parameters are OK, pressurized co2.

Thanks for any answers.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Some kind of photosynthetic bacteria---not Cyanobacteria. It probably requires lower O2 content.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I'm glad you asked about it, since I have almost the same thing in almost all of my tanks.
Some of mine also appears in little round dots on the glass too.
The only difference in mine is that when I scrape it off, it doesn't come off in sheets, but just wipes of like other algae.

With mine, everyone I've showed it to figured it has to be something in the tap water, but it hasn't been pinpointed yet.

Do you have well water?

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Bert, could it be BGA?... Although usually a blue green color it can appear in other colors such as red. BGA is the only algae I'm aware of that comes off in sheets.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry I haven't replied sooner, been out of town.

Simpte, it doesn't look at all like the pic from the krib article. It's just as my picture shows. It grows below gravel level on the glass and on the gravel itself.

Jan, I do have well water. When I say it comes off in sheets, I mean when I scrape below gravel level it comes off in its entirety, rather than in particulates. It just depends how big a patch I scrape. If a big patch you get a 'sheet', if a small patch just a 'glop'. Perhaps I shouldn't use the word sheet, you can see by my pic the size of the patches.

Trenac, I don't know.

Tom, you out there?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts