Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I found both of these plants about 6 weeks ago and still can't ID them. Anyone, help? Thanks, Jimjim

·
Registered
119 Posts
jimjim,
Your first plant looks like a Potamogeton, maybe P. pectinatus. Or I could be way off. The second plant looks very scape-able. Both plants look very nice!

·
Registered
542 Posts
First one might be a potamogeton or Zosterella dubia. Do the leaves have a noticable center vein? It has flowers on it? It is very important to photograph the flowers close up in order to ID it.

Steve Pituch

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ID these plants

I guess I was asleep at the wheel not recognising the Sago pondweed (P. pectinatus). The other one tho threw me completly, thanks tsunami. Thanks all for the help, Jimjim

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
P. pectinatus is P. diversifolius

The first plant I had at the begining of this thread has surprised me with the changing of their leaves. In medium light they stay like the picture shows, in high light they turn into small spadelike shapes. I've got to buy some batteries for my camera but will post pics tommorrow. It leads me to think the Sago pondweed is really Potamogeton diversifolius especially since they look very alike until they change leaves...Jimjim

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
The first plant looks to me like Zannichellia palustris, Horned pondweed. I once got this plant out of Lake Mendota in Madison, Wisconsin, but I never tried it in a planted aquarium to see how suitable a community plant it would be. Unlike Potamogeton, it has underwater fertilization.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.