Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just thinking that perhaps it would be good for the club to become involved in habitat conservation in CT. Particularly aquatic plant or aquatic conservation. I know there are a lot of invasive species in CT and a lot of work is being done by officials to protect the natural flora.

I think it might be educational and fun for us to help out in some way. I'll look into this more when I get back from Korea (tomorrow), but until then does anyone know off the top of their head who might know more about getting involved, or where to start looking for information?

How were the last two meetings?

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Personally, I think we need to petition the state to remove Cabomba caroliniana and Myriophyllum heterophyllum from the state noxious weed list. As both are U.S. native plants that can be found all up and down the east coast, I don't believe that we should be prohibited from keeping them. It's also not fair to blame the aquarium hobby for their presence when they could have traveled here through a number of other means (I stand by my "stuck to the foot of a goose" theory). Finally, the USDA considers both to be native to the state of Connecticut - and they're usually pretty accurate about such things.

Anyway, there's an invasive aquatic plant experimentation/inspection facility somewhere in New Haven... not sure if they do tours, but it could be a good place to go for a field trip/activity if they do. I do know they have lectures/workshops on aquatic plants. Webpage is here.

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome, I'll look into that. But I think your idea is a good one too. There is nothing like having a cause and getting something corrected to rally the troops!

I'm not sure what dates the last two meetings were held on. Should we keep the meetings the 3rd weekend of every month as usual or would changing the dates around be better? Ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
I think we should have a meeting on this coming weekend to make up for the one we failed to have while you were in Korea...

Also I'd like to do an open fishroom day at my place once I get the invert rack running (anyone who has spare 10g tanks, I want to buy them liek now plz). Not sure what the appx. date of such a thing might be.

And on a totally OT note: my golden wonder killies spawned! I'm gonna try and hatch me some baby killies. First time I've bred an egglaying killie actually... :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts