Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i dont want my tank to look cluttered with alot of plants but i have alot of plants i like. Heres my list:

Stems:

Hemianthus micranthemoides
Mayaca fluviatilis
Ludwigia arcuata
Rotala Magenta
Didiplis diandra
Rotalla Wallichii

Other

Java Moss
Glossostigmata

I would rather have fewer species of plants and some that would look good together. If you can recommend something for me that would be great because i'm ordering my plants tomorrow so i need to hurry and make my mind up. The glosso is for ground cover and the java moss is for my driftwood.

My tank specs are as followed:
Size: 10gal
Substrate: Flourite
Light: JBJ Power Compact 36watt - 6500k // 3.6wpg
Filter: Aquaclear Mini set on low
CO2: hagen co2 // DIY
Fish: Cardinal Tetras, Oto's

Please help me find some stems that will go together nice and fit my tank. Remember i want a limited number because i think it looks better to be simple rather than a full blown out aquarium with 1000 plants.

·
Registered
179 Posts
10 gal set-up

Hi,

Since you are setting up a 10 gal, why not try for the APC Iron aquascaping contest. Just add Rotala indica to the list of plants.
I like these type of plants on your list for a 10 gal.

Hemianthus micranthemoides
Ludwigia arcuata
Didiplis diandra
Java Moss

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Actually, I think the eight species you have chosen should work very well in a ten gallon tank. It is a model list of plants to use for a small tank, with excellent choice of foreground plants (Glossostigma), green plants (Java moss, Mayaca, Hemianthus micranthemoides), and colored plants (D. diandra, R. wallichii, R. magenta, and L. arcuata).

If I were to change something on your list, I would take out the Rotala magenta simply because it has a similar leaf texture to Ludwigia arcuata. So you'll be using seven species.

You seem to be aiming for a rather colorful layout.

Make sure to choose good hardscaping materials (gray rocks would look better here rather than warm hued reddish ones because of the use of red stems) or thin branches. Rocks and wood are as important to an aquascape as the plant choice.

Carlos

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies!

I am at my sisters now and she is going to be ordering my plants at 10:30 which is in 1 hour and 30 min so i need to make my mind up now!!!!

I made a new list which will only include 2 stem plants:

Heteranthera zosterfolia
Mayaca fluviatilis
Rotala macrandra v. 'narrow leaf'
Didiplis diandra
Glossostigma elatinoides
Vesicularia Dubyana

Mayaca fluviatilis would be cut low in front of the driftwood so its not going to be a BG plant. This leaves me with only Rotala macrandra v. 'narrow leaf' & Didiplis diandra for BG.

I dont know if this would be good as they are the same looking... Please if someone could recomend if i should have 2 or 3 BG plants and if so what would you choose. I cant make up my mind so im looking to ya'll since you have experiance in this type of stuff. I've decided i dont want to many BG plants and center my driftwood to the right of my tank and have more foreground plants around the driftwood for the centerpiece and then have 2 or 3 bunches of stem plants to the left of my tank.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Mayaca fluviatilis is not the greatest plant to use as a low hedge in a small 10g. You would be better off with the Hemianthus micranthemoides.

Otherwise, your plant choice seems fine. It can work.

Actually, everything but the moss is a stem plant.

Carlos

1 - 5 of 5 Posts