Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a new tank tomorrow, 55 gallons to be exact, and I need some ideas for aquascaping. Once I lay down my substrate then how do I plant my plants? How deep should they be in the substrate? What else can I get to put my plants around (ex. rock, driftwood) what does everyone recommend? Thanks!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Why don't you peruse some journals and the photos, to see what appeals to you. What kind of plants are you getting? Is it going to have CO2, or is it low light? I generally put about 2" in the front, and 3" in the back. Stones and driftwood make a nice hardscape. Driftwood should be boiled, or soaked, so it removes alot of the tannins and helps it to sink. Stones can affect PH, depending on their properties. So you should take into consideration what type of fish you will have, and if the rock is inert or not.

·
Registered
395 Posts
rocks and driftwood for a 55G seems pretty common. there are some plants/mosses that you can tie to the wood and it looks cool. for planting, i just made my substrate sloped from front to back about 2 inches deep in the very front to almost 6 inches in the back. i have long tweezers that i used to place my stems in the substrate. i put them about 2 inches down, enough to hold them in place. i wouldnt worry too much about a scape right now. just try to make sure your plants get enough light and learn to grow the plants and trim them and stuff.

try to get enough plants to plant heavily at this time. when your tank matures after a few months and your algae is hopefully non-existent then you can do a real scape. JMO.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I hope you not getting one of those 55 gallon packages sold by walmart, petco, etc. The lighting on them is very weak for any plants except low light or med light at the best. They are ok to begin with, but sooner or later if you get heavy into plants you gonna want better lighting, better filtering, etc. Also a good substat will make it better for planting in the long run. If you don't have good lighting then start out with anubias, java fern, etc that grow well with low light. As for scaping the tank I agree with stuckintexas. Just get it well planted to begin and then study what you want and do that later. Take your time and read all you can.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys the feedback was much appreciated!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts