Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, im thinking of planting my 90gal aquarium but I have a turtle in it; I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts as to which plants I could use in it.
I was thinking of maybe using anubias on the submerged side of the log, since its got a pretty hard leaf; I heard its an option but I don't know.
Any thoughts or experiences are appreciated.

heres what ive got:
a 10inch, grown trachemys emolli (Nicaraguan slider) whos my biggest problem in the whole planting idea
a mature jewel cichlid
two bloodfin tetra
a common pleco
theyve all lived well for about a year and a half.

as for decoration, its got is a pretty big log that's still in the process of sinking, that I placed to make a larger basking area.
some decorative stones on the bottom which ive thought of changing with a river stones mixture ive bought before and used in a different aquarium thats been planted for about a year.
Penn Plax Cascade 300 GPH Power Filter.

by the way, whatever plants are placed will receive sideway lightning from a window.

heres a photo of my turtle, just in case

thanks

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
It will chow down on the plants how much is the question. Buy some cheap stuff and see what happend

Sent from my SGH-T599N using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
That's a nice big tank, and it may eat some plants, but uprooting from the daily movements will be your biggest worry. Duckweed or frogbit works great, and they look good with it all over them when basking. But my guess is that rooted plants will be uprooted in short order.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I would pick up a 30 gallon breeder tank for the turtle. Or even have a custom shallow tank made for the turtle. Most turtles like to spend some time out of the water and with a 90 gallon tank that would be difficult.

·
Super Moderator
5,786 Posts
Nice turtle! This genus becomes more and more herbivorous as they grow older. An 8" native slider wandered into a client's 24' pond, and proceeded to uproot and eat enormous water lilies. I think floating plants are your only chance.

·
Registered
17 Posts
With all due respect, an 8" turtle in a 30 gallon tank will be a maintenance nightmare, not to mention a tiny space for the turtle. He'll love the 90, you obviously just don't fill it. Suction cup some cork bark into a corner for basking. Monitor the surface of the basking area closely...I'd say 90F would suffice. Use a good UV bulb.

Looks like a young female. If it is, she could grow 3-5 more inches. She's a nice looking red ear. The swimming viewing in a 90 will be awesome.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i had asked before on a different forum using a bunch of photos with diferent angles, asking for its species and if possible its sex, and they told me it was a trachemys emolli (Nicaraguan slider) and that its a male.

no, i seriously doubt ill move it from that tank, from what ive looked arround, a rule of thumb is 10gal per shell inch, so i guess its about right; besides its a river turtle, they spend most of their lifes in the water, and i do let it walk around my room or in the backyard almost every day so it can have some time outside.
even though its still sinking, he can already get on the log i placed, and its what im using for its basking area

the duckweed and frogbit sound like nice ideas, my only worry is with the filter; wont the waterfall break them down?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree that you will need a a 55g tank minimum for this turtle. The larger the better. You can fill the d
entire tank as long as you create a escape proof above tank basking area. The basking area should have uv and heat to 85-90 degrees. The water should be in the mid to upper 70s. I suggest a canister filter rated 3 times higher than the total water volume.

Most plants will be destroyed. You can try tough plants that do not need to be planted, like java fern or mosses. There a good chance your fish will also be eaten or stressed to the point of death.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,786 Posts
"a rule of thumb is 10gal per shell inch"

You need to check your math. From the photo, it has a 5-6" shell, which would mean a 50-60 gallon tank. And that leaves no room to grow.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@devilduck yeah, thats what ive been told but im still saving up to get a better filter.
@michael i dont get whats wrong, its a 90gal, it should be fine

1 - 11 of 11 Posts