Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry about the quality of the pictures, (I'm looking to get a new digital camera) These are about 2 inches in length and they change colors. The white is not really white, more yellow or orange. They are quick shy hiding most of the time and have fairly flat bodies. They look very pl*co like, but I'm not sure where to start. I'm not sure what they are. They called them African Butterflies. Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
My bet is that it is either a Tiger Pleco or a Butterfly Pleco...do you have a closer pic, and a side profile? :?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've looked at the cat-elog, but I really don't know. They could be clown or butterfly, but its hard to tell. I didn't try the forum, its worth a try. I'll try to get better pictures, but my ancient, cheap camera isn't really up to the task.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, those fish are hard to take pictures of. I think more that they are butterfly plecos, if they stop disappearing when they go on the gravel(very good at blending in). Its pretty neat how they can change colors.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I moved them out of quarentine and I rarely see them now, but when I do they are sure pretty. I think they must of been stressed because they are sure showing their colors now. I believe them to be Butterfly plecos and they are sure a nice little fish.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well i'm a Pleco collector and for me it looks like a Clown Pleco, these guys are very shy and mostly seen at night or when lowering the tank lights. and NOT recommended for planted tanks, they tend to destroy plants, they are algae eaters so if kept on a wafer diet they will leave the plants alone.
http://species.fishindex.com/species_3812panaque_maccus_clown_pleco.html

·
Registered
852 Posts
Looks like Zonancistrus (Peckoltia) pulcher to me. Can he change colors rapidly?

It's pretty common in the aquarium shops, sold as everything from "Flat-Headed Butterfly Pleco" to "Tiger Peckoltia".

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They can change colors fairly quickly. I've been trying with my new camera to get a better picture, but they hid alot of the time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts