Aquatic Plant Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
When I started with plants I had to get information from my LFS too. Witch was mostly just telling me to spend more. At the time I was just impressed with there tanks. I had no idea they would give me bad info. I find this all too common. I have to give credit to the good LFSs though there are some really good ones. If I knew that then my experience with the hobby would have been less aggravating. Despite that I love keeping tanks especially planted ones.

· Registered
520 Posts
I wish I'd known about AH Supply from the start, and that anything over 2 WPG is going to require more work than it's worth, to me.

I wish I'd used pressurized CO2 from the start, and that there had been reliable information about where to get parts. I wish I had NOT bought my nice aluminum cylinder and had only rented a steel tank from my CO2 supplier.

I wish I'd known ahead of time which plants were going to thrive or die in my particular water and setup.

I wish I'd known that a big expensive Eheim filter was not needed and that a cheap DIY UGF would work fine, despite all the conventional wisdom against UGFs.

I wish I'd known that I can enjoy my tank just the way it is without it looking like the pretty pictures.

I wish I'd known that if you DO plant a so-called Dutch style tank, that you will have to replant it about every week because once things grow they shade out the lower leaves and kill them.

I wish I'd known that carpet plants are a PITA because they always overgrow and become clotted with fish poop and algae.

I wish I'd known that the $7 Aquarium Pharmaceuticals NO3 and PO4 test kits were every bit as good as LaMotte, and that I hadn't wasted all that money.

TW

· Registered
506 Posts
When I got started? You mean back before the Internet? When you bought record albums and CD's were rare?

I wish I knew that Amano was in Japan doing what he was doing.

I wish ODNO was known. You couldn't get enough light over a tank then to cause yourself any problems.

I wish at least 1/10th of the plants we have now were available.

· Registered
10 Posts
I wish I knew about using a finer grained substrate with the laerite, and taking the plants out of the pots and that undergravel filters with dual powerheads would keep my plants from rooting properly. AND that getting lazy means ALGAE and becoming obsessed with how to rid my tank of it. ](*,)
cynthia

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.