Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you like mosses and liverworts, here is a link to a lovely set of photos and information. Click "next panel" at the bottom of each page to run through it.

Australian National Botanic Gardens: Lichens, liverworts, mosses and hornworts are all members of a group of organisms called cryptogams

If you're like me, you will enjoy terrestrial mosses, liverworts, lichens and such almost as much as their aquatic counterparts.

Andrew Cribb

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
The harsh Negev Desert in Israel is strewn with limestone boulders, which have nitrogen-fixing lichens growing on them. Various species of land snails feed on the lichens during the night. Once the sun comes up the snails retreat to the sheltered areas under the boulders and release their faeces down there. Research has shown that about 11% of total soil nitrogen inputs in the Central Negev Highlands of Israel come from the snail poo!
I especially found this section fascinating! Yay for the snails!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PG,

I can see where your thread starter on snail scats vs earthworm castings came from.

Lichen is an interesting symbiotic relationship between two species algae and fungus in the same "plant" body. If we knew more, I bet we would find life depended on algae... ;-)

Andrew Cribb

1 - 8 of 8 Posts