Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i think most of us run canaster filters ,right? i'd like to maybe see a pole as to whats inside? i think this would greatly benefit lots of folks. I've heard some people run nothing inside at all. Some including myself have run filter floss, which can clog in a couple weeks. There are lots of resins or other media types to choose from. bottom line i'd like to know, whats working for who? and how succesful is it? I'm not sure where to even post this question, as all my looking around has found little new info.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I run an Eheim classic with the efi-mech, then sponge, then efi-substrat - and then filter floss on top of that... Once a month I swap out the filter floss but could probably go 2 months. Every 3 months I backwash the filter...

That's about it as far as maintenance goes.

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
I run an Eheim 2026 with the media it came with, Efemech, Efesubstrat, foam and filter floss. I find that even with the foam and filter floss I can still go 2-3 months without cleaning it and it still has better flow than my Rena XP3 ever did.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
I have several Eheims and use the media it came with (as AaronT listed) or in the case of filters I purchased used, a cheaper alternative to the Eheim media. Depending on the tank I change the filter floss every 4-12 weeks. Every 3 to 4 months or so I do a more thorough cleaning including degunking the impeller. I keep an eye on the water flow to give me an indication of when the filter needs maintenance.

·
Registered
256 Posts
sponges and bio media thats it.ive got an Ehiem and a rena and love them both.i dont use the ehiem bio-media as it costs an arm and a leg and i have heavily planted tanks,making a cheaper product much more desirable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts