Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing a lot around the house while my dad is in the hospital, and my parents decided to do something nice for me! They are letting me do some upgrades on my 20 Gallon tank. I've chosen a new light and hood. I will also be doing some aquascaping. I recently bought a book entitled "Aquarium Designs Inspired By Nature" by Peter Hiscock (greatest name ever) that features several Biotope layouts.

Here's the new filter I picked out:

The Marineland Penguin Biofilter 200 is actually for 50 gallons, but I read you should always buy for a higher capacity than what your tank actually is. Mine is a 20 gallon, it also comes in 30 gallon, but I am going to spring for the 50 gallon.

The New Light:

This Coralife Aqualight is 6700k 65 watt PC

Childproofing:

Hopefully this glass canopy will cut down on the amount of damage my little brother does.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
If you can afford a canister filter it would work out better in the long run. It would allow you to use CO2 much easier, with a DIY inline reactor. It would make it possible to use an inline heater. And, it would help a great deal with maintaining water circulation in the tank. It doesn't have to be an Eheim, even though that is possibly the best. Rena Filstar XP3 would work very well for that size tank, if not be oversized, and at a lower price.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I can find a canister filter around $50 I may be able to get it. On Dr F&S, the Rena is $100 and the Eheim is $80 :-(

·
Registered
232 Posts
I don't think that Hydor will be big enough.

I think the Marineland bio-wheel will be fine if you aren't running CO2. The only concern is that you are gassing off CO2 by creating turbulence in the water which might be an issue with the bio-wheel. I see that you are running DIY CO2 so this is something to consider.

You might want to look into an Aquaclear HOB. If you keep the water level high enough, it will minimize surface turbulence and allow you to keep your CO2 as long as you keep your tank full.

Charlie

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My little brother just broke my ceiling fan...and I managed to talk my mom into letting me get the Eheim 2213 from the local PetSmart.

I wish he'd break something else of mine so I could upgrade to pressurized CO2.

·
Jedi
676 Posts
Hi,

Petsmart offers 15% off coupons all the time. Right now they offer free shipping on $25+ order.

Now that your on the right track with the filter...I would really consider getting the Current USA Orbit light fixture. if its 20L then the Freshwater Aqualight T5 :cool:

The fixture you chose will heat that glass up so much and raise temperature of the tank. The Orbit will be higher and cooler running. The Aqualight T5 can be run without temperature problem.

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
My little brother just broke my ceiling fan...and I managed to talk my mom into letting me get the Eheim 2213 from the local PetSmart.

I wish he'd break something else of mine so I could upgrade to pressurized CO2.
Great idea! Start leaving some of your valuable stuff that you are tired of at the edge of your desk. Is your little brother named Dennis by any chance???

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The light has already been shipped. I'll just have to wait and see what the heating is like...it's made to be used with a glass canopy. I can always buy the mounting legs later.

He is named Austin which I am convinced must be Latin for "He Who Wreaks Havoc".

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The light is arriving tomorrow and I'm off to PetSmart right now to go pick up the filter.

Whoo Hoo!!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I haven't had the light for a day and my plants are already pearling!

I ended up going with the Bio-Wheel filter, and I'm very pleased. May get the Eheim for my 29 gallon though.

The Coralife fixture doesn't get hot at all, so the glass canopy was a great touch. Best of all, my little brother can't figure out how to get into the aquarium. Some of the best purchases I've made to date.

Next on my list:
-Reintroduce my fish into the tank
-Buy some dry ferts
-Search for some rocks and flat driftwood

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
Now you have a race between your little brother getting smart enough to get into the aquarium and getting wise enough to know not to do that. Are you taking bets?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts