Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is something just not right with my two planted tanks. The water is always cloudy no matter what I do. I have added beneficial bacteria. I have tried several different chemical, mechanical, and biological filtration methods. The water levels are all normal (ammonia, PH, phosphate, gh, kh, nitrate, nitrite). I have tried water changes (everything from 10% to 90%). NOTHING IS WORKING!

What is making my water so cloudy and how can I fix it?:pout:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The tanks have been set up for a few months, since this summer.

The substrate is sand, there are a few pieces of drift wood and some rocks - other than that it's just plants and very few fish.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess I'll have to look into getting some UV filters.

The cloudiness is white/grey (definately not algae or tannins). The weird thing is that the fish are not bothered by it and the plants grow like crazy.

I have tried both bio-chem and purigen and they did not work.

I am thinking of just buy some plain water clarifier from Petsmart, they have a decent store brand flocculant.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Before you throw more stuff in your tank you should at least try turning you lights off. Often algae bloom appear grey when they are at a low level.
We decided to check the water by taking some of it out and putting in a clear bottle and holding it up to the light. Sure enough, it is very pale light green. I'm assuming that it's an algae bloom due to my inexperience with dosing dry ferts.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I came SO close to buying a canister filter but made myself believe the HOB would be fine....

I guess tomorrow will be water changes and algaecide.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
For leaving the lights off, do i need to completely block the tank from ALL light or just leave the tank lights off?

I may be able to get a better filter and/or UV sterilizer for my birthday or christmas coming up. Otherwise, I am just a flat broke unemployed college student in a bad economy.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I just finished day one of my blackout.

Where is the cheapest place to get the H.O.T. Magnum filter?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Really? That's awesome. Petsmart's is $89 in the store which is a rip-off. Dr. Fosters & Smith sell it for $49.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I think it was overfertilization from the dry ferts I bought. I don't really understand how to dose them. Didn't have this problem before then.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I'm doing water changes as we speak.

I wanted to upgrade the filtration on both tanks regardless.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.