Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it unethical to copy someone else's aquascaping design?

Imitation is the sincerest flattery - John Bartlett

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
For your own enjoyment, I'd say no, but to enter into a contest then I'd say it's not ethicial. Thats just me.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Ummmm....yeah

For my own enjoyment it's not unethical*

To enter into a contest it's not, not unethcial+

That better?

* Double Negative cancels it out making it Ethical

+Triple Negative make you shake your head and wonder.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That seems pretty black and white so lets get grey. What if, for example, I run an aquarium rental company and I have Amano knockoffs in half the doctor's offices in town. Is this crossing the line?

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Well being as you will probably also have some sort of plaque advertising your services it might not be a bad idea to wite the plaque like so.

Aquascape Designs by Yournamehere Inc 555-1212
Inspired by the design of T. Amano

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I dont think its a problem to copy someone else's work for your own personal tanks. In fact, I think it can benefit your skills in the long run.

·
Banned
1,623 Posts
I don't think there is anything arong with it. I do not see how anyone can lay exclusive claim to an arrangement of plants. And although the basic design can be copied, I think it will always look somewhat different. Amano gives us basic designs to work from, he teaches it to people, whether it be the triangle, the concave, whatever... People are always inspired to copy or mimick what they see in others. That is why certain plants become so popular for a while until something else comes along.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Heres the way I see it. If you can paint the mona lisa exactly, and enter it into a contest as a replica not intending people to think its the original I dont see that as being unethical. It still took skill talent and creativity to reproduce.

If you can reproduce someone elses style so well that people cant tell the differance, I'd say you have alot of talent at aquascaping. Not just anyone can make a believable replication.

A bad copy is glaringly obvious... everyone knows bad. But good is good regardless if its your style or not.

Just playing devils advocate here, hopefully no one is offended.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.