Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I'm in Argentina (Buenos Aires). I'm planning on examining every stream / pond / lake / river, but does anyone know what species of plants, fish or shrimp I might find down here, or have a particular place in mind that I should check out?

I'll post pics soon.

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I found some plants! I went to the Tigre river delta and took a boat trip up the canals. I need plant IDs! If you can peg the species I'd be very grateful!

I found:
Lilaeopsis (brasiliensis?). No picture yet!

Some type of Hydrocotyle.

And most excitingly I found a new type of aquatic moss! It looks a little like fissidens moss but it has a much nicer green color, and seems to grow more robustly. Its absolutely gorgeous.

Hydrocotyle

Ludwigia?

A mussel

·
Registered
272 Posts
Neato! Especially on the moss. I think many of us were under the, up until now, mistaken impression that there wasn't a lot in the way of aquatic mosses in South America in general.

So what's the possibility of getting that through customs legally?

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a feeling that South America is one of the most overlooked places in the world for new aquatic plants. Partially because not many aquatic plant travelers come out here on collecting trips, and partly because the hobbyists that live in South America don't come to our site very often.

I am not sure about the customs regulations. Maybe someone could step in here and let us know?

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm. Good thing I didn't collect any of the Ludwigia then. It was also in a really nasty little pond.

Its not aquatic then? Oh I also saw some giant plants that look like swords. I'll have to find the picture later.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Cool find Michael... Wish I had the time collecting native plants when I went to the Philippines for vacation... Hope you can find more cool stuff there!

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
XD That moss is awesome! I haven't the foggiest idea what it is, but it's neat!

You need to get that through customs... find someone who'll issue a phytosanitary certificate and you should be able to get it in the country... I think... o_O'

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes they do look a bit different. I'm not sure if it grows underwater. I found it about 1 foot away from the river where it was being splashed constantly. I think the plant is in its emersed form now, but again, I'm not sure if it will convert if submerged...

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Welcome back! Did you get the plants home safely?

I bet there'll be interesting plants in SK, too... it'd be fun to look for some native aroids or something (do they have crypts that far north?)... or even maybe some kind of wild ricefish or something.... or - OOH! - maybe some wild Amano shrimp or other Caridina species! Better pack a breather bag and some Purigen just in case!

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes I got the moss back. The other plants didn't do well in the bag for so many days. Now the real problem is if the moss will survive... Maybe in a few weeks when I get back I'll have some to sell/trade.

Also... I couldn't find the breather bags at home. I'm not sure where they got to, and the ones I took to Argentina I gave the to my girlfriend to bring back. But hey - its South Korea! I'm sure they have breather bags or something like that. If not, I can probably just order myself some and post them to where I'll be staying.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts