Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So this project is several months down the line June hopefully. It's all hinging on renovating my 400 gal pond. I thought I would be able to at least move the rocks out but nope, its Michigan and we have had rain, 3 days of 60° weather then snow then rain then this morning more snow...... i am so done with winter.

Anyway I need this post so that I can start visulizing this project and stop contemplating getting rid of the living room couch so I can have space to bring up my old 20gal........ sad to say ive been outvoted the couch is still im the living room and the tank is still in the basement.

I kmow the biggest hurdle for this tank will be getting enough plants all in the tank at the same time for the initial start up. I have no LFS that has enough plants at a reasonable price so I have to turn to online souces. this is what my plan looks like right now.

Shop #1 25% off order plant set #2 with swaps from set#4
Set #2 $28.95
  • Micranthemum Monte Carlo (never tried) (swap?)
  • Alternanthera reineckii varigated
  • Bacopa Caroliniana (swap)
  • Hygrophilia Pinnatifida
  • Hydrocotyle Leucocephala
Set #4
  • Hyptis Lorentziana (no)
  • Rotala Colorata (no?)
  • Persicaria sp. Kawagoeanum (swap w/ of bacopa in set#2)
  • Hydrocotyle Tripartita Japan
  • Lobelia cardinalis small form (swap w/monte carlo)
Single purcahse plant same seller
  • ludwigia peruensis
  • Hygrophila Corymbosa Compacta
  • Nesaea pedicellata
Shope #2
  • Red Flame sword
  • Red Tiger lotus sprouted

So I dont think those are enough plants to get me off the ground. I have in my nano tank, which is of course small so I am limited with how much i can transplant, these plants.
  • crypts, nurrii phang mutated, green gecko, bronze, lucens
  • sword little prince, micro
  • rotala h'ra, caterpiller
  • Ludwigia needleleaf
  • bacopa colorata
  • 3 buce
  • star grass

So im looking for other plant recommendations for plant purchasing sites and plants in general that I can see, in partucular if shop #1 carries. I need to have a robust enough selection to get the new tank off the ground. The shop with the lotus and sword has limited stock so i am open to a shop that carrues those plants and a larger selection. More bang for my buck considering shipping.
I still havent doubled checked the policy on giving shop names.

Moveing on to hardwear. Since my shubunkin is still in the tank i have a old marineland hanging filter and a Ehime classic 250 canister filter. The marineland filter will go but i think i will keep the canister. Ehime canisters are absolute work horses and i love them.

I also am in the market for a whole new light. My Finnix stingray went on the fritz a couple years ago, appearently it thought being a strobe light was better then just being a functioning light.

Substrate will be 50/50 compost sand again. I will have to find a new cap for the soil, as I think the the bluespots like a dark colored substrate. Not sure if I should go with a sand or small gravel.

Sorry @johnwesley0 the sunfish have won out over the apistos lol.
Ill be getting my fish from zimmermans i am not sure on quanity yet.
I will have
Blue spotted sunfish
Rainbow darters
Indicided native schooling/shoaling fish.
He has several species im leaning towards the smaller species. He has some p-class blustar endlers or spiketail platy all in the 1-2in range.
He also has dace, shiners and liberty molly. I think those might be too close to the size of the sunfish, they all run in the 3-4 in range.
I havent decided if i want a heater yet, a heater would be benefical for spawning.

So thats the basic plan now, send suggestions. Keeping me distracted saves the living room couch.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I would lean heavily on the micro swords. They seem to be the only fast-growing rooted plants on your list and a 36 gallon tank will give you a lot of foreground to cover. The other plants are very pretty but I'm all about getting some roots and runners down first, then hoping the stem plants will work out. If the stem plants don't do well, you still have your crypts and the tiger lotus doing their thing.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Agree with John on the micro swords, or chain swords. Vals are also a good one to consider. I've have good luck with S Repens in my tank's foreground. Buce Plant is a great source and I've always gotten good quantities of healthy plants. They have a good DOA policy, you earn points on your purchases that can be used for discounts later, and shipping is reasonable. www.buceplant.com

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes i figured i would need some fast growing carpet plant like the chain swords thay absouy took off in my nano. I figured plants like the conte carlo, hairgrass or other carpey pants wouldnt do the job.
I will add vals to the list.
What about dwarf sag? Any other fast growing foreground plants. I am know of buceplants have never ordered from the. Pearlingplants is the site that I have my 25% off coupon code so ill stick with them for first place of order, but they carry almost all stemplants which is why my list is a bit skewed in that direction.
They were one of the places i found who had floating tiger.

Ill swap to buceplants for lotus, swords and and other fast growing rooted plants. Ill check out their site and then amend my list.

Let me know know if any plants are on my list are a "dont bother" plant. I know i want the hygro pinn. Ive had that before and it was a stinning plant and hygos as a whole are pretty indestructable.
Ive never tried the renekii but i figured know would be the time with such a rich substrate. Ludwigias are hit or miss and rotalas are good stand bys for me.
Thanks

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agree with John on the micro swords, or chain swords. Vals are also a good one to consider. I've have good luck with S Repens in my tank's foreground. Buce Plant is a great source and I've always gotten good quantities of healthy plants. They have a good DOA policy, you earn points on your purchases that can be used for discounts later, and shipping is reasonable. www.buceplant.com
I have a wheel thrown pot i need to be finishing decorating for class. Instead i have $123 worth of plants in my cart at buceplants....... 😅

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've never had any luck with Monte Carlo. They seem to benefit from very high amounts of light and CO2 injection. I had to reduce the amount of light in my tank to control algae and CO2 injection is generally not needed in a Walstad tank.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never had any luck with Monte Carlo. They seem to benefit from very high amounts of light and CO2 injection. I had to reduce the amount of light in my tank to control algae and CO2 injection is generally not needed in a Walstad tank.
Ive never tried it but ive heard its touchy and i just dont think its worth the effort. I in no way way want to deal with plant that needs those requirments. I working on a revised plant list....... and still neglecting class work lol

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I've revised my plant list and right now its way, way more then I want to spend but dont think I can get around it..... espicially when I can't bring myself to dump a $24 buce from my cart. Lol and i havent even looked at crypts yet ugh.
So heres the new list
Pearling Plants revised list
Set #4 29.98 w/ 25% off final order price
  • Lobelia cardinalis small form
  • Rotala colorata or persicaria sp. Kawagoeanum (cant decide)
  • hydro. Trip. Japan
  • hygo. Pinnatifida
  • alternanthera reinckii varigated
Single plant
- hygro. Corymbosa compacta

From buce plants
  • echin. Marble queen
  • echin. Ozelot
  • echin. Red flame
  • tiger lotus
  • anubias barteri coffeefolia
  • mico sword
  • buce dark skeleton king, Starglitz, black pearl
  • Vall. Leopard
  • dwarf sag.

So i am close to $140 which is...... not what i wanted.
So i think my plan will be to get the dwarf sag, and micro sword and use them on opposite ends in the foreground and let them run wild. Now next question will one pot suffice or do i need to get their 3 pot option.
Next i dont think i need 3 swords.... so keep marble queen and choose between red flame or ozelot....
The driftwood plants are all ones ive wanted to try for years... dark skeleton king is just stunning.

Im unsure about the leopard val.
So for crypts i have a 2nd plant from my phang mutated, but nothing from green gecko or bronze yet.
Pink flamingo is very tempting but im not sure its worth the risk, so im looking for possibly one other crypt to add.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is this why the anubias is on your list? Epiphytic plants look beautiful but aren't great bio-filters because they grow so slowly.
Lol yes the anubias and buce are all just guilty pleasure plants. I saw Coffeefolia years ago in a display tank at a LFS down state i immidiatly bought one.

At the time I was still trying to make a stand that I could get live plants to work with my Shibunkin who couldnt return to his pond. I didnt know how long I would have to keep him in the 36gal and I had just started researching planted tanks before i had to move him from the pond. I tried for almost a year and a half but it was a fight i lost.

Almost all the plants on the list are like a second chance, I tried most of them with my comet.
All 3 of the swords, lotus, the hygros, vals, the sag and micro sword, 2 of the buce and of course the anubias...... My first coffeefolia lasted a wopping 4 months with my glutton comet.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So i have looked through the crypts buceplants has and am going to skip pink flamingo. I am instead considering retrospiralis, albida cotata and axelrodi.

Ive been searching google for images of the plants in the tanks but im always cautious about the accuracy of the i.d of the plants in the photos, and of coures plants color differently in different tanks so it not really the best was to judge.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What is the success rate for tissue culture plants in a walsted tank? Their are a couple crypts im intreasted in that buceplants only has a tissue culture. Ive swung back to considering pink flamingo and also affins. You used to be able to find affins pretty readdily. Both are tissue culture. If i want them should i have them in the tank from the getgo or should i wait till the tank is established. I have never tried tissue cultures before....... my plant list just keeps growing 😅

·
Registered
122 Posts
What is the success rate for tissue culture plants in a walsted tank? Their are a couple crypts im intreasted in that buceplants only has a tissue culture. Ive swung back to considering pink flamingo and also affins. You used to be able to find affins pretty readdily. Both are tissue culture. If i want them should i have them in the tank from the getgo or should i wait till the tank is established. I have never tried tissue cultures before....... my plant list just keeps growing 😅
I've used lots of tissue cultures before only because potted or bunched versions weren't available. The rate of success really depends on the plant, your substrate, your water...basically your tank in general. There's no way to guarantee that one particular plant is going to do well in the environment you create. Basically you put a bunch of different plants in and see which ones survive. Some will thrive, some won't, and some will just melt away. Tissue cultures just guarantee that there won't be any hitchhikers or algae already present on the plants you buy.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've used lots of tissue cultures before only because potted or bunched versions weren't available. The rate of success really depends on the plant, your substrate, your water...basically your tank in general. There's no way to guarantee that one particular plant is going to do well in the environment you create. Basically you put a bunch of different plants in and see which ones survive. Some will thrive, some won't, and some will just melt away. Tissue cultures just guarantee that there won't be any hitchhikers or algae already present on the plants you buy.
Thats kind of what i figured. Well I'm going to shelve the plant list for a bit. I do need to decide on how much of the micro sword and dwarf sag along with if i want the marble queen, red flame and hadi red pearl.
I think ill start looking into a new light...... my absolute least favorite about setting up a tank.

·
Registered
281 Posts
In my experience tissue culture plants are much more expensive, and the problems they solve either are unavoidable (algae) or not something I consider a problem (snails, other hitchhikers). If you can get it for a similar price to potted/bare-roots and it's the only option then there's nothing bad about it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So this project had been shelved till next summer because I ran into issues with expanding the pond and preexisting sprinkler lines. So the plan was finish the pond next spring and my goldfish would be ok for one more winter indoors.
That was my plan until yesterday morning when i woke up to find my goldfish had died sometime in the night. It was a shock he was healthy despite being almost 10 years old. So i have no clue what happened and am sad to have lost my begging water dog, my mom in particular adored that fish.

So I now have a empty tank. I just had a new hood made for the tank to get rid of the ugly black one. I can post pics if anyone one is interested.

First order of business is a new light. I have $38 at my LFS from selling extra plants from my nano. I dont know what light brands they carry off the top of my head so I will call them to see. I am open to any suggestions for good lights. My last was Finnex Stingray and it was having flickering issues. I think it was only about 3 or 4 years old when it had the problem so i dont think i would go with tgat again.

I will be using 50/50 sand compost mix again and will re look at my plant list, and decide on fish stock.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Personally, i would have to go several degrees of magnitude above my present budget to get what I really want which is a totally programmable catwalk style light with dimmable LED bulbs, color combinations and multiple on/off sunrise/sunset settings. BUT at the price point you and I are both stuck at, I would be happy with a catwalk style light that can operate with an external timer/dimmer AND has about a 80/20 ratio of white bulbs to color bulbs. That last piece is important to me because I am reading more and more posts regarding people switching out their blue LED bulbs for more white lights in order to combat algae.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Personally, i would have to go several degrees of magnitude above my present budget to get what I really want which is a totally programmable catwalk style light with dimmable LED bulbs, color combinations and multiple on/off sunrise/sunset settings. BUT at the price point you and I are both stuck at, I would be happy with a catwalk style light that can operate with an external timer/dimmer AND has about a 80/20 ratio of white bulbs to color bulbs. That last piece is important to me because I am reading more and more posts regarding people switching out their blue LED bulbs for more white lights in order to combat algae.
Price point is currently a hurdle yes. I have been squirreling away money for this project and I think I have about 150-175. 100 is a conservative amount for plants. It will probably be closer to 130. So that leaves me with roughly 50 for a light or 80 if my LFS has something that fits the bill.

I to have noticed the buzz in the community about white to blue light ratio but I am an awful person who never keeps up with posts and almost never comments on all the threads i read 😅

So that was at the top of my list to consider for a light. Catwalk is a must. Dimmable would be wonderful but my not in the budget. Timer conmpatable is a must thankfully I already have a timer. The kasa timer for my nano was in a 2 pack and for a basic timer i absolutely love the kasa.

I will get back monday with light options from my LFS.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Me researching lights "Ohhh Fluval 3.0 great brand, great warrenty, control led rage and color, customizable settings, absolutely everything I want in a light, its perfect its wonderful its $175.........$175.......... ugghhhhhhh 😭😭

1 - 20 of 59 Posts