Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 20 gallon tank that I have been struggling with. I had six older rosy barbs and a deranged chinese algae eater. I relocated the algae eater and got ten otos. The barbs attacked the otos and now I have four rosy barbs and six otos, and all of the survivors seem to get along. Two weeks ago I found a huge beautiful bunched cryptocorne (the long grassy undulating one) and pulled out some stem plants, separated the crypt into about twenty plants, and planted them across the back. I also started dry ferts at the same time, and finally got NO3 to register this week (from zero to 5- woo hoo.)

The weird thing is the otos. Five of them now have huge bellies, and spend most of their time (daytime anyway) just resting on the leaves of the crypts. The sixth just goes about his business. GDA has increased, and there still appear to be some diatoms on the older small crypts, so could they just be gorging at night? Or could I have six females, five ripe? Or five, plus a clueless or immature male? I have just never seen otos sit still all day before.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
If they have fat bellies, I think they are just satisfied and being couch potatoes like we do after a big meal. Does the sixth one have as fat a belly? If not, he's probably still out getting his dinner. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Check your tank early in the morning before lights are on. I bet you'll find all of them busy at work. Mine do the same thing, they are up all night...sleep all day.

Could be the oto's are just more comfortable moving around when the rest of the fish are at rest, especially if they got bullied at first. I assume mine work more at night due to fear of being eaten by the larger fish in my tank.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you are both right... even though the tank seems more exposed, they seem to feel safe on those long leaves, and the top side of the leaves is the opposite side from the barbs. Plus it has a nice lulling movement... I think I would sleep there too.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, in the last few weeks all of the otos died except one (the thin one). One actually looked like it blew up- it's stomach ruptured. The fertilizers are balancing things out somehow, and there isn't much algae left anyway. I think the snails can take it from here, but I still wonder what was wrong with the otos.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts