Aquatic Plant Forum banner

Increasing phosphates in pps pro

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Rambozo 
#1 ·
hi thanks for the great site and information. Sorry if this has been touched on before but I can not find the answer.

I have just set up a 2foot by 18 inch by 2.5 foot high. It has some up aqua soil and I heavily planted. I have a 50w led light over it at the moment with a 90 degree optics over it. I am dosing 5 ml of each solution daily. The light is only on 8 hours a day. I have just set up a DIY co2 system. It is a 2liter bottle and is getting fully dissolved and it is producing 1 bubble per second

Over the past three day I have noticed that there is a fair bit of GSA on the glass and on the Stauro. I have cleaned the glass and that Is alright I can keep cleaning it.

I am wondering about the GSA on the leaves of the Stauro. After looking around the world wide web I can see the people saying that it is a phosphate problem.

How can I adjust/increase the phosphates in my next mix to attempt to stop the GSA. What do I increase the dose of? I am feeding the fish two times a day however all the left over food is being eaten by the hundreds of shrimp in the tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

See less See more
#2 ·
Have you tested your PO4 and NO3 yet? The ratio is usually higher than 1:15 when GSA grows. If NO3 is like 100, adding PO4 is no solution. Try to test them first... when NO3 is acceptable (let's say lower than 30) adding PO4 is a solution If NO3 is too high, try doing some water changes. How much depends on the ratio of your PO4:NO3

About the food, even when it is all eaten, this does not say it doesn't add NO3 to your tank. When the food is high in nitrogen, it still may shift the balance.

Something that also might be happening is that the aqua soil is absorbing PO4 much faster than NO3, this is the case with most aqua soils. Especially in the first few weeks/months. Try adding some extra PO4 if the soil is still new.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.