Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

Two new comprehensive infographics have been released on Aqua Calc Infographics.

How to ship plants (within USA)

How to receive plants

please, review the infographics and post your suggestions, feedback and improvements.

I would also like to populate a list of plants which do not ship well. If you know of any delicate varieties...please add them to the discussion, so that i may update the infographic!

Enjoy and Happy viewing!

·
Premium Member
2,011 Posts
just saying... but there are other ways of shipping that cost way cheaper and still work the same or better. i would probably use your guide to ship live animals.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Holy crap, there's no way I'd be able to ship plants via your method. You do realize shipping plants is nearly akin to shipping cut flowers and vegetables right? Maybe one day I'll post up how I spend closer to 3 minutes per package.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I noticed under your plant disinfectant sections your bleach dip method is way too strong and long. 1:16 bleach:water for 10 minutes will kill pretty much every plant in this hobby. consider changing it to 1 single minute tops. personally I do a weaker 1:20 mixture, but it's really that 10 minute duration you have listed that is the plant killer.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I noticed under your plant disinfectant sections your bleach dip method is way too strong and long. 1:16 bleach:water for 10 minutes will kill pretty much every plant in this hobby. consider changing it to 1 single minute tops. personally I do a weaker 1:20 mixture, but it's really that 10 minute duration you have listed that is the plant killer.
Or better yet, dont sell plants that have algae on them. Only sell healthy plants!

·
Premium Member
2,011 Posts
Or better yet, dont sell plants that have algae on them. Only sell healthy plants!
i bleach dip some of my plants to kill algae and pests. some may like ramshorns but others don't, and with one egg sac on a plant you'll give them something to stress about. ;) and there are people who love creepy crawlies like leeches and FW bristleworms.. *ahem* wouldn't want to spread those around.
in short, you should obviously be selling algae free healthy plants, but a quick bleach dip to kill hitchhikers is always appreciated.
@at spypet
i agree, when they get the plant they'll have paid for a rotten mess shipped nicely in a box after hours of packaging. use a 1:20 ratio for 1min and 30 sec. otherwise, hydrogen peroxide for algae.

packaging plants takes me tops 2 minutes. just wrap in wet paper towel, put into baggy, put into bubble mailer and then seal. i don't use insulation or boxes, a bubble mailer first class works great for shipping plants! never had a problem.

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
I have never dipped my plants in anything before shipping. I can see doing it if you have pests/algae on your plants but I dont.

On the subject of reusing supplies.
Last week I brought in some potato skins to work and shared them with some co-workers. After one of them finished off the last one I asked for the Ziploc baggie back and he looked at my weird and asked what I wanted it for. I said "There is no reason I cant wash this out and send some plants to someone in it" then he knew what I was doing. I also reuse paper in my office to pack boxes and also use plastic grocery bags too.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I wanted to say, the design and flow is excellent but I don't see any links for a printable format, i.e. pdf. I would like to print this to share at DFWAPC meetings. If you need help reworking it, PM me.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Holy crap, there's no way I'd be able to ship plants via your method. You do realize shipping plants is nearly akin to shipping cut flowers and vegetables right? Maybe one day I'll post up how I spend closer to 3 minutes per package.
Coralite,

i'm glad you can ship plants in less than 3 mins! this info-graphic is more for amateurs and new-comers than for regulars and experts of the hobby...when you got into the planted tank hobby and shipped your plants for the first time, could you ship in 3 mins?

while designing infographics a more conservative approach is to be taken rather than an advanced one...the aim is to guide with suggestions. not the absolute method. users are expected to reduce timings with practice...

perhaps, a little constructive criticism may help...a list of delicate plants not on the list would be nice..or alternative methods to reduce time..as well..[smilie=n:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
neilshieh,
thanks for suggesting the dip time...i shall update the infographic immediately..

i bleach dip some of my plants to kill algae and pests. some may like ramshorns but others don't, and with one egg sac on a plant you'll give them something to stress about. ;) and there are people who love creepy crawlies like leeches and FW bristleworms.. *ahem* wouldn't want to spread those around.
in short, you should obviously be selling algae free healthy plants, but a quick bleach dip to kill hitchhikers is always appreciated.
@at spypet
i agree, when they get the plant they'll have paid for a rotten mess shipped nicely in a box after hours of packaging. use a 1:20 ratio for 1min and 30 sec. otherwise, hydrogen peroxide for algae.

packaging plants takes me tops 2 minutes. just wrap in wet paper towel, put into baggy, put into bubble mailer and then seal. i don't use insulation or boxes, a bubble mailer first class works great for shipping plants! never had a problem.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
spynet,

thanks for suggesting a change for the ratio...i might have taken the wrong notes while reading through all of the posts....i shall update the infographic immediately!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
bsmith,

...i keep doing the same thing at school or work...and often get the weird looks...and then have to explain why im collecting used ziplock bags...:)

I have never dipped my plants in anything before shipping. I can see doing it if you have pests/algae on your plants but I dont.

On the subject of reusing supplies.
Last week I brought in some potato skins to work and shared them with some co-workers. After one of them finished off the last one I asked for the Ziploc baggie back and he looked at my weird and asked what I wanted it for. I said "There is no reason I cant wash this out and send some plants to someone in it" then he knew what I was doing. I also reuse paper in my office to pack boxes and also use plastic grocery bags too.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
bigstick,
i completely agree that we should only sell healthy plants. however not all sellers are the same... there are sometimes thin strands of algae in my plants which often go undetected...

i have twice had cases where i got a shipment of plants and in a few weeks had new types of algae attacking my tank...hence the info graphic suggests ways to prevent algae or other unwanted species entering your tank and not spend a ridiculous time cleaning up the mess afterwards....

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wanted to say, the design and flow is excellent but I don't see any links for a printable format, i.e. pdf. I would like to print this to share at DFWAPC meetings. If you need help reworking it, PM me.
hi digital gods,

thanks for your kind words! i haven't setup links for printing for 2 reasons..
1. infographics keep getting updated as when members give feedback...
2. i am currently working on possible formats for printing.

the shipping and receiving plants infographic is relatively new...i'd like to incubate these for a while...before i stop receiving changes from members...once they are sort of seasoned in the forum...i'll open them for printing...

till then, you can always send your audiences to the site!!! :) i'd definitely like an extra set of hands...have you used adobe illustrator, photoshop or indesign?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.