Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First draft at the hardscape.

The plan so far is:

anubias and java fern surrinding and on the rock/wood mound on the right.

Foreground of HC, perhaps some lobelia to break up the line.

Inside the little rock ring, a stand of about 20 Rotala mini type 2. I'm figuring all the small rocks up front disappear once HC is in, using them to try and make an easy trim point/separation line.

Background center and left, a 12" or so tall hairgrass species.

Looking for something all green with this splash of color from the tiny stems of rotala type 2.

Inspiration is those beautiful mound type setups like those I've seen from Roy Deki - I don't think I can match those superb setups, and am looking to deviate a bit, but that is the mood and feel of what I'm shooting for.

Anyhow, here is the hardscape first go, with some of the anubias that'll go into the tank.

I'm looking for feedback and alteration suggestions now, much harder to do once the tank is full - those branches ar boogers to move around once it gets locked in. ;)

PLEASE BE HONEST, appreciate all who can give your feedback! If it stinks, lemme know, what would you change? Different plants, change the hardcape, let me know!

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tinkering with it.... rocks changes up some, do like this look more.

Ring of rocks is exactly that - HC foreground will cover it up from sight, but it'll give a break line so I'm not trying to tease foreground runners out of a bush of stem plants that go inside that ring.

Wood still isn't quite right, have to get that teased out wild woman's hair look before I'm happy - random, but patterned, heh. Really just twisting and spinning, getting the angles to where I like it more..and getting it to stay there, have about 20 little rocks holding it in! This is really close on the wood.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
I like the rock this second way you've set it up. I also think the wood is good the way it is. If you have alot of anubias and fern they will hide a great deal of the 'wild' look.

-Dave

·
Registered
534 Posts
I am always so unsure when I see a setup like this with so much hard scape. Thought many times I have been stunned and delighted to see see what the final out come will be. I would say a little less on the rocks, you might be able to hide some of the ones used to hold up the wood. I am looking forward to see what this will look like with a few months of growth.

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
Personally I feel that hardscapes get 'lost' in too many aquascapes...you see a nice formation of rock/wood and then 3 months later you have no inkling of it as the plants grow out. I like the second rock formation better.

Where did you get those nice rocks btw?

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sorta torn on the size of the rocks, have had that too much comment a coupla times.

I know what I have in my head.

I'm envisioning this pile on the right, full of anubias, java ferns, backed by bolbitis. Flowing rear on the left, some 12" tall hairgrass, a local species. Nice low wide carpet up front, perhaps with something a few inches tall to transition it into the rocks - I have several crypt pontediferolia I'm thinking of using there. And one clump of stems, only one, inside that little ring.

I want to be able to see rockwork with a pile of anubias and ferns around those wood pieces, is why I keep building it up... I'm now wondering if I'm not screwing it up!

Where did you get those nice rocks btw?
It is from California landscaping yards believe it or not, junk stone to them out there. ;) pm me and I can fill you in on details hooha, perhaps PAPAS would do an order like GWAPA has.

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
ahhh, I actually heard about this over the weekend. This is the group order you guys split with the Lancaster club, right?

pm sent!

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reset from lots of advise.

Disclaimer: I know the rocks in the ring are going to all but disappear. They are for me to create spacial separations, it is okay if they disappear. ;) The ones in back are to halt hairgrass runners, the ones in front to stop HC runners.

Entire set moved up - trusting you folks, I really didn't want to do this one!

Wood reset to have larger pieces up front, smaller in rear, hopefully better arrangement of angles.

Rockpile reset - it didn't go together as cleanly as before, have to bust up a couple and look for the right keys for the back side.

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
I think Ingg is saying basically it will appear as if there are no rocks on the left. There will be stem plants in the middle of the ring (hiding the back section of rocks) and HC in front of the ring (hiding the front half). The purpose of the rocks is mainly for 'containment' - i.e. preventing a big mess of runners in the middle of stem plants (which always happens).

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
hooha has it.

Getting a hairgrass species from AaronT, about 10-12" tall - that goes in back of that rock ring.

Inside the rock ring, a small cloud of Rotala mini type 2. (the only non green in the entire scape)

In front, HC.

Rocks give me an easy way to break up the patches, and the runners have to climb out of substrate to cross, easy snippin'!

I sort of have the feeling I throw people for a loop with my scape ideas, heh - rocks and wood seem almost nature style (I like to think), but my scapes are anything but. ;)

·
Super Moderator
5,865 Posts
I like the driftwood better in this arrangement. I have one more qualm though. The division between the two groupings of rocks seems to be the very center of the tank. Even though they are vastly different is size and shape it gives a feeling of symmetry that I'm not sure you're after.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Planted.

Hairgrass Eleocharis sp., Rotala sp. "mini" type II, HC, Cryptocorene Moehlmannii and Pontediferolia, Anubias nana, nana petite, Narrow leaf Java Fern, Bolbitis.

Need to find a bunch of anubias petite for the rock pile, and tweak a couple things here and there.

Love the tall haigrass, got it from a friend, native species.

Still hate bolbitis. Such a cool plant that I am never happy with when I scape with it - much more a reflction of my abilities than the plant, I think.

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
That's going to be really sweet when it grows in. Nice job!

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
It is an illusion, I customized the stand.

It is mineralized, substrate is umm, over 2" deep in front - that is a 1x6 routed, painted, and stuck on to hide the bottom rim that you are seeing, makes it look lower than typical. ;)

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
I'm wondering if you may have too much variation between the plant size from left to right. The R. mini is such a small plant. It all looks so nice and healthy though! :D

1 - 20 of 57 Posts