Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be setting up a rimless all-glass tank and I was thinking about this little ultra violet sterilizer to use on my tank. It is an Odyssea brand in-line ultra-violet sterilizer. Has anyone used these products before? I know the concept is simple, but do they work? Most are very expensive, and these are relatively cheap. They are sold on Aquatraders.com. under UV steralizers. (


I'm sorry I couldn't get a picture to post, I'm at work and they don't allow you to save pictures to anything to transfer over to this site.)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
732 Posts
I recently installed a 5 watt Helix Max UV on my 52 gal aquarium. I have never had a tank look so clear! It is almost mind boggling how great these things work.

We use them regularly at work to keep the house purified water free from bacteria and organic carbon. The trick is to keep the flow rate through the purifier below the manufacturer’s recommended rate. The UV not only kills bacteria and algae; it even breaks down organic waste products into CO2. Since the UV only works on bacteria floating in the water, it doesn’t hamper the bacteria lodged on your bio filter.

I don’t know what you call cheap. Mine cost about $50
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. You've answered a couple of questions for me. As for it being cheap, $50 definitely is not, but most that I've seen run into the hundreds of dollars, so...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
I have a Atman UF2400 with UV lamp inside. One time turning the UV lamp on for 2 hours, I noticed my shrimps getting sort of dizzy and paralyzed before getting eaten by fish. Don't know if my observation make any sense. If it does than how does the UV lamp effect the shrimps?

I have also heard that the UV lamp kills all nitrifying bacterias even those laying inside the filter.

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
I have a Atman UF2400 with UV lamp inside. One time turning the UV lamp on for 2 hours, I noticed my shrimps getting sort of dizzy and paralyzed before getting eaten by fish. Don't know if my observation make any sense. If it does than how does the UV lamp effect the shrimps?

I have also heard that the UV lamp kills all nitrifying bacterias even those laying inside the filter.

Thanks!
It can not and will not kill anyting that doesnt pass through the unit. Period.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
It can not and will not kill anyting that doesnt pass through the unit. Period.
This is true, and if no one else has pointed it out the longer the water is in contact with the U.V. radiation the better it works. Fast flows will not be in the light long enough. I assume this is why most have 90deg inlet/outlets because it slows the water. So something to consider their.

I use a Aqua Medic U.V. Sterilizer-9 Watt I purchased from bigalsonline.com http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18545/si1380477/cl0/aquamedicuvsterilizer9watt
Ok Bigals will beat any web price so http://www.dtpetsupplies.com/catalo...Vs/9-watt-Helix-Max-UV-Sterilizer-Aqua-Medic/
You have to call them up to get the price match but it will be under $50

Pro:I like mine alot crystal clear water haven't had a sick fish since hooked up. I run it 24/7 due to no timer for it yet.

Con: I hate the fact that this model has NO way to tell its on, AND its ballast is on the plug so can be hard to find a spot to plug in. But all in all a good unit.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
732 Posts
One time turning the UV lamp on for 2 hours, I noticed my shrimps getting sort of dizzy and paralyzed before getting eaten by fish. Don't know if my observation make any sense. If it does than how does the UV lamp effect the shrimps?

I have also heard that the UV lamp kills all nitrifying bacterias even those laying inside the filter.

Thanks!
This is a likely outcome when you turn on the UV for the first time!

Although people hate algae, it is not all that bad for the fish. Algae is very efficient at removing ammonia and ammonia by-products from the water. When you kill off the algae you have to have some other plant/bacteria available to take its place. In addition, when the alga die, they becomes plant waste that decays and increases the oxygen demand in the tank.

When you first turn on your UV you should turn off your CO2 and increase aeration to maximum to increase oxygen level to boost micro growth in you filter and prevent asphyxiation of your animals.

As far as killing off bacteria in your filter, that seems unlikely since those bacteria are never exposed to the UV.

I have my UV on 24/7 and don't notice any problems with my fish or plants.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top