Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is kind of a related question to Chadly's. I noticed that my plants "close up" about an hour before the lights go out. Does this mean that my lighting cycle is too long and that they are ready to rest or does it mean that they are just getting ready to rest knowing the lights are about to go out. I currently run 2 x 65w cf. One bulb comes on at 8:30 a.m. and goes off at 4:30 p.m. The other comes on at 12:30 p,m. and off at 8:30 p.m. This gives me a 12 hour photoperiod with a 4 hour noon burst.
Brian

·
Super Moderator
7,429 Posts
People generally interpret that "closing down" action as meaning that the plants have finished their "daylight" time. Since you use a 12 hour photo period I suspect that is right. Most people say 10 hours is all the plants really need. I'm using a 8 hour period now, but usually do 10 hours. More than that seems to help the algae more than the plants.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
The 'closing down' you describe I have observed in my tanks at varying times. In one particular instance, I started out at 11 hours, then brought it down to 10 and 9 and once the plants acclimated to the new times, they would start 'closing' about an hour before lights off.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting, I wanted to test these two theories, but I have been too selfish to give up viewing time on my tank. Maybe I will cut it down an hour just to see the results.
Thanks, Brian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts