Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Here's a small study done on terrestial plants and compact growth. I have yet to try this myself, but have startet looking for bulbs in the fare red specter. Might be my english messing stuff up for my, but from what I could gather, it's enough to bombarb the plants in far-red for 15 minutts and the end of day???

http://www.clemson.edu/hort/sctop/bsec/bsec-08.htm

http://194.236.255.117/akvarienet/memberfiles/th_of_plantsfile54.pdf

.3 Stem elongation
As described in section 2.2, far-red light reflected by neighbouring plants (or neighbours for short) decreases R:FR in horizontally propagated light, as 'seen' by vertically oriented plant surfaces (see Aphalo and Ballaré, 1995). This happens at low canopy densities, so it is especially important for small seedlings in sparse canopies.
The stems of many plants elongate faster if they receive additional far-red light from the side (see Ballaré, 1999, and references therein). In general, the magnitude of the response to far-red
light depends on the species, developmental stage, and other environmental variables such as blue light and/or photosynthetically active irradiance incident on the leaves. However, at low canopy densities there is no actual shading of leaves by neighbours. When measured under laboratory conditions, the stem elongation response to far-red light incident on the stem can be shown to have a very short lag (of the order of minutes in small seedlings) but continue for some time after the end of the stimulus (Casal and Smith, 1988a,b).
The photoperception of the lateral far-red light takes place in the growing internodes. In sparse canopies, the perception of neighbours is mediated mainly by phyB and probably sensitivity is modulated by phyA6.

·
Registered
156 Posts
gpodio, that's just about the highlight of the stuff I posted earlyer on. This test concluded that the light that was filtered true the canopy of the tree's would incurrage the plant to grow in high to chase for the top where most of the ligh was. If you would bombard a plant in fare-red light, it would focus on it's sidegrowth.

This bulbs you talk about sounds perfect, guess I should see if they are available here in Norway to. Anybody have a full name of spec on them?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.