Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently running a 55w CPL Bright Light Kit from AH Supply on a 29 gallon tank. I am adding another 55W Bright Light fixture to the tank to help with even lighting and primarily with foreground plants. I am using EI dosing. The current setup is running 7 hours. I think I will have the second light come on only part of the day. I am looking for photoperiod suggestions when I add the second light to avoid an algae bloom with the new light. I am thinking of starting at only one hour for the first day, then increase one hour each day until around 4.5 or 5 hours.
Does this make sense?

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
When you add new lights it's sometimes hard to void getting algae. But doing it slowly will decrease your chances. There is not a set way to increase the lighting slowly, so what ever way you feel is best should work. I would try increasing the light 1 hour weekly instead of daily though.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Starting with only one hour of both bulbs would be my suggestion too.

But increase it as Trenac suggested - 1 added hour a week.

--Nikolay

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nico, the first bulb has been running for a long time at 7 hours. Do you still recommend running it at one hour too, or was your suggestion for setting up a completely new tank?
thanks

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Kypros,

The suggestion for an 1 hour strong light can be applied to a brand new tank or to an established tank to which you are adding more light.

In a new tank:
As I've said before - even only 1 hour of strong light (and complete darkness for 23 hours) is enough to keep plants healthy and growing. That is that safest way to start a tank and avoid algae completely.

In an established tank:
Adding more light changes a lot in an established tank. It has to be done very carefully so starting with 1 hour should be safe.

--Nikolay

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Niko,
Of course I would have to greatly reduce my EI dosing for the build up period, right?

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Kypros,

If you will be running 1x55 watt bulb for 7 hours and adding a second 55 watt bulb for 1 hour (initially) you don't need to change your fertilization. Not until you see a need for it. With EI you are very much overdosing heavily that I doubt there will be a need to increase the fertilizers until you start running 2x55 watts for 6 hours or so.

Basically with introducing a second 55 watt bulb for only 1 hour a day your goal is to catch any trends that start to develop (both good or bad). The 1 hour will give you time to react. Imagine that you run the new bulb 7 hours from day 1. You will agree that change will happen fast, very fast correct? Maybe your plants will grow like crazy. Maybe algae will take over. You don't know. That "inknown" is exactly what you are trying to avoid. In a planted tank playing it safe is better than having to fight problems.

So by introducing the new bulb slowly you are giving yourself time to react to the good or bad changes that will take place.

--Nikolay

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.