Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm just north of Boston and working on my first planted tank but it's not my first aquarium.

About 8 months ago I picked up a 33 gallon long with the intention of using it immediately as a saltwater quarantine. Long term the tank would become either a frag tank (coral propagation) or a FOWLR (Fish Only With Live-Rock).

I went the FOWLR route because I didn't want to tie the tank into my existing reef aquarium and had plenty of room for the immediate frags in the display tank. Also, I always had a desire to breed clownfish and cardinalfish (Banggai). So, I quarantined (1 month) and then added; mated-pair of misbarred false percula clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris), mated-pair of Banggai cardinalfish (Pterapogon kauderni) and a Lemonpeel angelfish (Centropyge flavissimus) -because I wanted one. :D

Out of nowhere and within 30 hours, Brooklynella wiped my tank out. Can't explain it because I was thorough with all quarantine precautions which I'm very familiar with but that's the heartache of Brooklynella.

Now, the 33-long has 60lbs of black fluorite, a beautiful piece of Malaysian wood and plenty of foliage. The tank is also sporting a 4x54 watt T5 fixture which I'm only running 2 10K bulbs in.

My first livestock additions will be 6-10 Otocinlus vestitus and the bulk of the livestock will probably be Corydoras hastatus. Brown diatoms have settled on the wood, plants and glass. A closer inspection of a Cryptocoryne lutea yielded beautiful hitchhiking snails feasting on the brown diatoms. What are they?

What I'd like to see on this site is a hitchhiking forum. More knowledgeable members can identify what newbies are seeing with the addition of new plants and livestock. On reef forums, hitchhiker posts are a common occurrence due to the extreme amount of organisms living in saltwater.

I'd also like to see the for-sale forum broken down into plants, livestock and equipment. This should prove useful in the future and maybe attract breeders.

A vendor experience forum could be beneficial to users who are incline to order from a random websites and Aquabid. A search may lead them here.

Just random thoughts, take it how you wish.

See you around,
Dave

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Hi LosingSleep (Dave),

Welcome to APC. I hope you come to enjoy APC as much as I have. Lots of helpful, supportive, knowledgeable people that will help you enjoy this hobby to it's fullest. BTW, 6700K is considered "normal" K for planted tanks, you may want to do a little reading in the Lighting forum, especially the "stickys" at the top.

Sounds like a pretty good suggestion, you may want to post it in the "Site Feedback" forum. Glad you found us!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Roy.

I will be replacing the bulbs and leaning toward Giesemann 5k (Aqua Flora) and/or 6k (Midday).

·
Registered
733 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Dave. You've come to the right place.

You may want to rethink the idea of introducing the Otos first as they are extremely sensitive. Even some of the LFSs have difficulty keeping them. I'd recommend that you add them last once your tank is well established.

As far as your other ideas, you're in the right track.

Post your questions and you're sure to find the answers in no time at all.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Dave stop following me. ;)

Welcome to APC! :clap2:
Lemme know if your interested in some simple stemmed plants, moss's, liverworts, or shrimps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the forum, Dave. You've come to the right place.

You may want to rethink the idea of introducing the Otos first as they are extremely sensitive. Even some of the LFSs have difficulty keeping them. I'd recommend that you add them last once your tank is well established.

As far as your other ideas, you're in the right track.

Post your questions and you're sure to find the answers in no time at all.

Good Luck.
Thanks Ravi.

I'll put the Otos on hold for 2-3 more weeks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Dave stop following me. ;)

Welcome to APC! :clap2:
Lemme know if your interested in some simple stemmed plants, moss's, liverworts, or shrimps.
Jeff! I knew I should have checked the member list before signing up...

I may take you up on some java moss and any SSS CRSs that you'd like to donate.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Jeff! I knew I should have checked the member list before signing up...

I may take you up on some java moss and any SSS CRSs that you'd like to donate.
Sure, I got all kinds of moss's. :D I wish I had some SSS CRS's but I do have some yellows, tigers, snowballs. We can work out some trades for some nice SPS's.

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
:welcome:to APC!... You have some good suggestions!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts