Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To APC members,

Welcome to the first annual Iron Aquascape Contest hosted by APC and special thanks to Art. :D for making this possible.
We all once own 10 gallon tank before either as a turtle tank, fish tank or a hamster tank and some still do to this day.
A standard 10 gal. is 20x10x12 and can fit anyones budget at around $5.99 to $12.99.
So now is a great time to start setting up a 10 gallon of your own with the help of APC member and I.

This topic is for members to post their journal if they choice to or ask questions about the contest. This way we can help each other to be better aquascapers.
Here is some ideas on lighting a 10 gal.
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1026

Join Now
Ken

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
First, let me say that I think this is going to be a lot of fun. I am glad APC decided to do this.

Ken, your light is wonderful. Just the appearance and innovativness alone deserves much credit. Lighting is one area I think we could really discuss. I have a 10 gallon as my main tank with 4.5 watts p/gallon NO florescent and DIY CO2. I really do not think that is a ton of light over a 10 gallon. I know Amano averages 6.5 wpg over his 10's.

If cost is a factore for anyone, and I am sure it is. I know I for one might have trouble with another full setup. Let me add a a link to my little diy help. My pressurized CO2 works wonderfully for me. http://aquabotanicwetthumb.infopop....06023812&m=8866077875&r=7426001085#7426001085
I plan on writing an article on this some, for APC, time soon:) but for know, check out the link. Sorry for the copy and paste:) Hope it can be helpful.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Head count

Dennis thanks for that nice pressurized CO2 set-up link.

Now with a show of hands, besides me who else will be part of this 1st APC contest.

Ken

·
Registered
4 Posts
I probably will, i just started with live plants a few months ago, but everything is finally starting to pull together. I made the mistake of starting with the ten, and balancing the tank was hell for awhile(atleast for me).

anyway, i just happens that the tank has about 40 stems of r. indica in it :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
7 and counting

Ok, so far 7 and counting.

I would like to clear up one question that is being asked.

The questions on how the focus plant aka indica is to be used. Is the intent of the contest to use as much of the plant as possible? Just to have it as one of the plants? Etc..

The indica must be the focal part of the design with the right balance between the secondary plants. It can't be too strong or too weak appearance. There is no set percent on how much to use, it all come down to is the overall design.
If you overload the tank with indica, you have less chance to win.
Here are the factors to consider with the Iron Aquascape challenge.
1. Placement towards the center to off center and front to back.
2. Contrast of color between the secondary plants and background
3. Height of the focus plant
4. Lighting effect to make the focus plant stand out.

Take for example my 2003 AGA 10 gal. If the focus plant was the use of moss, than that would be the tank I'll use. All 4 factors above was in the design to show the hill.
So the percent of indica use will vary depending on you overall design and layout.

If anyone have more questions about the Iron Aquascape contest, feel free to post it here.

Thanks
Ken

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Just my thoughts:

I do not feel that the Rotala in this aquarium must be the focal point.

As an example, a friend of mine on the floor has a 10g with two carefully trimmed slopes of Rotala indica on both sides. It is the only stem plant in the tank, at least 70% of the aquarium. However, the white background between the two slopes of Rotala serves as the focal point. The hills of Rotala funnel the eye toward the back. Is this okay?

Or how about rocks with Rotala creeping over them, or a display of driftwood carefully accented with a lush grouping of Rotala?

Trying to open it up and allow for greater creativity here.

Carlos

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I think that this is where the confusing begins. My feelings are the the R. indica also needs to be the focal point. If we follow Ken's guide about contrast, plant height, contrast and plant position, we get a pretty good description for placing a focal point.

If we use Carlos' description of his friends tank then we get a good example of using the indica as the focus plant but not the focal point. However, the use of only one plant, or using mostly indica seems to be what is not recommended.

Conundurum?

It seems that to make this truely the "Rotala indica Challenge" we need the plant to be the entire focus of the tank. Both as the focal point and as the focus plant. Somewhat challenging but do-able, I think. That seems to be the challenge. Hard to do though since if you use a contrasting color or leaf shape it would be easy to draw the focus from the indica, thus defeating the point of the contest. Any other use of the plant would make it mearly a compleminting, background addition to the tank.

Confused?

I still think this is the "challenge":) It will be interesting to see how people use this common, often secondary plant, as the main attraction. I my self am finding design options difficult because I think in terms of contrasting to draw the eye away from the indica. Using a fine leafed highly colored plant to do this would suddenly make that plant the focus.

I think the key to this challenge will be to not consider the hardscape as taking away from the use of Rotala indica in the tank. I agree that the indica does not have to be the focal point but I think it could be too. My personal felling is that using the rotala to compliment the hardscape would be ok as long as the indica was still the focal "plant" Any other plants in the aquarium would then have to compliment and highlight the Rotala indica without out drawing from it. This will limit the plants that can be used a bit and also limit the number of plant species used but how many species do you want in a 10 gallon anyway. However, that is mearly MHO because if done correctly pretty much anything could be pulled off:)

I guess my feeling is that we as contestants need a slightly better idea of what the judges will be looking for. it seems to me that we at APC don't want a lot of confusion or "disgrunteled" feelings from our first contest. I think that the parameters for this contest are a wonderful idea but I, personally, wish I knew the answers to tsunami's questions.

Can't wait to get started:):):)

Dennis

BTW, I would really like to add massive props to the buisness who are lending their support to this contest:)

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
How I always envisioned it was that the focal point was indica...this can be accomplished in many ways and is part of the skill. Simply placing hte plant at the golden intersection isn't enough.

The other skill involved here involves incorperating the focal point of indica to the rest of the tank which could have 1-10 (just a guess) other plants, driftwood, rocks, bubbling treasurechests etc etc.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes the contest is about the use of indica, but it must also complement everything else in the tank like secondary plants hardscape, background and etc.
Sure Carlos the reverse way by drawing the eye away from the large percent of indica by a use of a strong background is fine. That is another way to balance the design. I just don't want a overload of indica with no creative design factor or a balance involve.
That's why indica was choosen for this contest to show it's not just a background plant and can be used in a creative way.
The goal is to show many way a plant can be used in a creative way so it can help beginners to this hobby to have a open mind.

Thanks Carlos for the example.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Sure, the one size tank I don't have set up, and the plant I keep that I have the least success with.... :roll:

Maybe the next contest. :)

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Alright, I am ready for our first mini-discussion. Allow me to post a question. Planing and setting up an aquascape seems to be dependant on one main thing. WHat your plants look like. The color, leaf shape and growing habits are all thing we need to take into consideration we planing the initial layout. Know what we are going to have to work with seems like the first step to me. So my first question,

What conditions do you find to give optimum growth of Rotala indica?

I an starting to finally see the brighter colors with the addition of flourish and Flourish Iron. Even the stems are orange now:) I have not noticed a change based on the levels of N/P but then muy levels have never been higher than 15/2 ppm. WHat are others' experiences?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts