Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Aquatic Plant Central is very pleased to announce the start of the Iron Aquascaper Contest- a contest that pits aquascapers against one another in order to prove their prowess and skill.

The Details

Contestants will design an aquascape around the focus plant. This year's focus plant is Rotala rotundifolia (indica). Information on this plant can be found here. The best use of the focus plant wins.

Other requirements:

Tank size:
  • -US entries: a standard 10 gallon aquarium (20"x10"x12")
    -non-US entries: as close to 51cmx25.5x30.5 as possible
Closing date: December 1, 2004. We will be announcing the results on January 11, 2005

Submissions:
  • -Use a digital camera with high resolution (alternatively, you can send a photo for scanning by APC)
    -Provide 3-4 images with at least one from the front
    -Do not modify the image except for adjustments to brightness, color correction, contrast, white balance and sharpness.
    -Image should be a jpeg, tiff, or png
    -Image should be sent to [email protected]
Judges:
  • Phil Edwards
    Ricky Cain
    Oliver Knott
    Enrico Monteiro
    Tan Zhiming
    Bartek Lipczynski
Prizes:
  • -First place: Iron Aquascaper Trophy - chosen from judging panel
    -People's Choice: Certificate - chosen by APC member votes
Judging guidlines:
  • 1. Use of the focus plant
    2. Overall impression
    3. Composition/Technique
    4. Originality
    5. Aquarium condition
Each contestant will receive detailed feedback by the judges.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Hope a lot of people will start preparing their ten gallon tanks for this even! It's sure to be a great one. Even I'm entering. :D

Just to clarify what Art means by detailed feedback from the judges: it means you will actually get the scoring sheets sent to you --one from each judge. You will know what you need to improve upon then and/or get to know where the judges are coming from!

Carlos

·
Registered
426 Posts
Query

So, does this mean that the organizer(s) will provide the tank, equipments, and plants for the competitors just like Iron Chef?

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry cs. That's not in the budget at this time.

We will be having some sessions on how to keep the costs down however. We are also trying to negotiate a discount on the plants from some of the vendors.

Stay tuned.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Teriffic idea. I am glad the APC has decided to have its own little contest. I really like this idea. You can count me in, not that you need fear competition :wink:

·
Registered
459 Posts
Why is the contest so long? Rotala indicta can fill up a ten gallon tank in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Iron Aquascape Challenge

This is a great opportunity for members of APC to learn and develop their skills aquascaping a 10 gal.
I will start a workshop topic to help members along with each entry.

The reason why the long deadline is not all entries will start right away. This will give members time to develop their skill and learn to use indica in different ways. It also gives amble time for the secondary plant to grow in first.

Good luck to all
Ken

·
Registered
179 Posts
Also

...also after the APC contest in Jan 2005, members can further improve their design with the help of the judge's comment and the APC workshop. So they can than try their luck with the ADA and AGA contest in 2005.

Ken

·
Registered
156 Posts
Sounds great! Are great ide it is. Maybe I should dust of my old tanks, think there should be a 10G somewhere, lord know's I have every other size :roll:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have one question...

I understand the concept, like the Iron Chef use mainly one ingredient...

But of course you can't have just the one type of plant...

So how many different types of plants can be used?

And what percentage should the main plant be? Like 75% - 90%?

I know this was discussed a couple of months ago when the idea first came up, but I don't remember a definitive decision being made.

Thanx, sounds like fun.

CD

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
This contest is a great idea.

I'd be very interested to see how different people use R. indica. I used to love that plant but lately I started to think that it's good for one single thing only - to be used as a pink/red highlight, close to the surface of the water, with most of the plant being hidden. It produces abundant floating roots and the lower leaves always end up looking ugly.

The shallow 10 gal. tank and careful prunning may prove that R. indica is a plant that can be used in many ways, not only as a highlight.

Good luck to all that enter that contest!

--Nikolay

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For contestants:

Our friends at Aquarium Garden have agreed to provide all contestants with a 5% discount on your plant order.

Please use this voucher number: 30008251035.

The voucher is valid through May 2005. It needs to be entered into the shopping cart's field to take effect. The voucher can be used for any number of purchases.

Please support our site AND get a discount on your plant order for the contest by purchasing from Aquarium Garden. Please use the following link:

Aquarium Garden

A special thanks goes to Vic at Aquarium Garden for supporting this contest! =D>

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Contestants:

Our friends at Aquatic-Store.com have agreed to support us as well! :D

Here are the specials for our contestants:

• $5 off any single co2 combo set up (includes sale priced items)
    $1 off every bag of Eco-Complete (includes sale priced)
    $1 off any single co2 piece of electrical equipment
    $5 off any IN STOCK lighting system
PLEASE NOTE

Aquatic-Store does not ship equipment and animals/plants together. Additionally, substrate must be shipped separately.

In the note section of the shopping cart, you must state that you are an Iron Aquascaper contestant. You will receive a separate email with the special pricing.

***Do not pay via the website***

A special thanks goes to Marc at Aquatic-Store for supporting the Iron Aquascaper contest! =D>

Please use this link: Aquatic-Store.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts