Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
I always hear .1 ppm mentioned as the standard desirable level, however you'll have a tough time finding any test kit that can measure Fe levels that low reliably. I've read that Fe levels in excess of .1 ppm may provide greater benefits for many plants, but one has to be careful if dosing it heavily with fish in the tank as it can be toxic at high levels. I find the best indicator of sufficient iron levels to be the coloration of plants like Didiplis diandra and Pogostemon stellatus. Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
925 Posts
No it isn't. A kit that accurately measures iron at that level would run in the hundreds.

·
Registered
459 Posts
You don't really need to test for iron in your tank as long as you don't overdose. I really wouldn't worry about it. I dose .1 ppm every other day in my tank and have had good luck. If you do feel the need to get a test kit, here's a link to a good one, although I'm not sure it will measure levels down to .1 ppm. Kind of pricey too :wink:

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/465/cid/66

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Turtlehead... Keep a eye on your plants they will tell you when you need to add iron. I add iron once a week to my tanks, 1ml per 10 gallons. You can start out with this amount and if your plants start yellowing you can add more during the week. I would not waste mone on a iron test kit, I had one that gave me a 0 reading no matter how much I added.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Iron test kits are inaccurate because plants acctually store more Fe than they can actually use, so even if you get a reading of 0 your plants may already have their reserves full.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts