Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'll admit it. I use an Neptune aqua computer to control pH and temp. That thing is awesome!

I also use a chiller and metal-halide lighting. :D

·
Registered
811 Posts
Art.

You sure you don't have All-In-One tester ? NO3, PO4, KH, PH, GH, K, etc etc etc

Seems like you are your electricity bills are up there :lol:

Whats Octopus aqua computer ?

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Jay,

Neptune AquaController actually. I made a mistake above. Please see it below. It can control everything even beep me if something goes out of whack. Had to mortgage my house for it. :oops:

P.S. I use a LaMotte Colorimeter that gives me exact ppm readings. :oops:

·
Registered
811 Posts
Art,

Whats the price ?

Is it better to buy Titanium Heater and separate PH Controller. If something goes wrong, its only 1 thing instead of 2.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jay,

Price is $300 something for my set up. I don't use a heater as I'm in Miami although this can control one.

The good thing about this is that it is intelligent. I controls pH to within .05 pH via CO2. It controls temp to within .5 degrees. If the temp gets above 77F it turns the chiller on. If temp gets above 80F it turns the lights off and an alarm lets me know. If temp decreases to under 80F it turns the lights back on.

The lighting feature can simulate the varying photoperiods throughout the year. A moon light can be added to simulate the phases of the moon.

I can control ORP via ozone. I can control various pumps to simulate current , etc., etc., etc.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Art,

I don't know why, but I thought you were one of those low-tech guys. Boy, I was wrong.

So chiller is inline as well.

As for as lights ON and OFF.

- How many times per day you experience this ?

- Do you have default OFF for night time ?

- Does it work the same in winter and summer. Or you house temperature is the same all year long.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was low-tech when I was in school and poor. Now I work and am still poor, but I have credit... :D

The automatic light shut-off due to temp has never happened. Lights are turned on and off according to the photoperiod I set. The computer uses a built in algorithm that simulates the photoperiod time for the year so it will be longer during the summer and shorter during the winter. The simulated moonlight is an blue incandescent that is powered higher or lower based on the cycle of the moon.

My home temp is always between 76-78F as all Florida homes are A/Ced. The temperature shut off is just a precaution.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know what you mean Rex.

ADA has a product line called Panac that is meant to restore the biorhythm of the aquarium resulting in good plant growth. Would any of you buy those things?

·
Registered
4 Posts
After looking at the inards of that thing, I wouldn't be suprised if they made $55 profit off of every $69 dollar unit. We should ban them from this site. :lol:

·
Registered
302 Posts
magnets!?!?! Well, I got a mag-float! Maybe that will make my water chemistry better! :idea:

how do these companies survive?

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
How do they survive?
(1) There is a large number of potential customers who do not have the education to recognize psudoscientific 'snake oil' advertising.
(2) They threaten to sue people who post statements on the internet critical of their product. (strategic lawsuits against public participation)

·
Registered
739 Posts
If I'm not mistaken they made some preliminary threats on another board which only made matters worse for them as they sparked an uprising and brought a lot of attention and negative threads about their product.

Another element that allows such companies to survive are publications that will positively review your snake oil for a price. FAMA published a nice review on this product without apparently even having tried it.

But quite frankly, our hobby is flooded with snake oils and remedies that fix one thing and break five others. As long as there are new and unexperienced people looking to get into the hobby, there will be miracle products that claim to solve it all in one shot. People will continue to buy them, lfs will continue to sell them, and money hungry publishers will continue to sell their pants to make an extra buck.

Considering that even us hobbists have to be careful when expressing our thoughts and experiences on the net, I think we would have to back track a long way in the US before a publication such as FAMA can safely come out and write an honest review about a product that fails to deliver the goods it promises.

Giancarlo Podio

·
Registered
302 Posts
HeyPK said:
How do they survive?
(1) There is a large number of potential customers who do not have the education to recognize psudoscientific 'snake oil' advertising.
(2) They threaten to sue people who post statements on the internet critical of their product. (strategic lawsuits against public participation)
'

I vaguely remember this happening. What ended up happening? I hope that whatever happened that the right of free speech was protected.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
The president of the company that produces the Aqua Equaiizer threatened to sue if two posts from APD members were not removed. These posts raised doubts that the device would work as advertised. Both posts were removed by the people who posted them. It was a victory against free speech, but I can't blame the posters for removing their posts given the damage that the two lawsuits instituted by Novak have done to the defendents in those cases, which seem to be dragging on forever.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts