Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Is Two ( 2 ) Florescents Enough FOR A 55 Gallon Tank ?
Need more Details before we can answer that. Wattage? T rating? If it is two 54 Watt T5 bulbs it would be enough for a low tech set up, but if it is two 32 watt T8 shop lights i doubt it will put out enough light. Also what type reflector? and what are you trying to grow under it?

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
I have 2 x 65watt Power Compact Flourescent bulbs on a 55 (48" long tank) and it gives enough for "moderate light" plants to do very well.

Prior to that I had 2 x 18watt (what came with the original hood) and it was enough to keep "very low light" plants alive, but not growing...at all.

T-5 bulbs are more efficient so you don't need as many watts as you would for similar output from PC bulbs.

So, the answer depends on what type of flourescent bulbs and what kind of plants you want to keep.

-Dave

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have no idea what aquatic plants will end up in the 55 gallon tank---or fish, etc for that matter. I ended up buying a 4 light fixture with separate power cords for each 2 T5 54watt,10000 lamps. 2 of the lamps were actnic 460s which I understand are preferred for saltwater tanks. Mine will be freshwater so why the actnic 460s?

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Need more Details before we can answer that. Wattage? T rating? If it is two 54 Watt T5 bulbs it would be enough for a low tech set up, but if it is two 32 watt T8 shop lights i doubt it will put out enough light. Also what type reflector? and what are you trying to grow under it?
Two 54 watt T5 bulbs on a 55 gallon is not low tech. You had better have good CO2 on that. That's what I have, it replaced my 2 X 65 W PC JBJ fixture. I was surprised at how much more light that thing puts out. My red plants have all gotten really red.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I agree, 1-2 T5HO bulbs is fine and plenty for a 55G.

4 54w T5's on a 55G is TOO MUCH!

I am currently running a good shoplight(has decent reflector), 2x 32w T8 bulbs that are both ODNO 2x(~100w total) and all of my plants are doing good since I have setup my pressurized CO2. Before I had the CO2 they were growing but very slowly and I had trouble with a few plants.

·
Registered
43 Posts
1- 2 t-5 ho lamps will do fine. I have 120 gallon tank with CO2 injected, with 6 t-5 HO....... My plants are doing great

Ultimatley, what do you plan to grow, will u use CO2, especially if you use high X2 t-5... you definitely need CO2 compress gas for high light demand lights. If you go low tech - Java ferns anubius and sofarth, you can forgo CO2 compress gas injection

Later!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts