Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
It really depends on your setup. I don't think that anyone would recommend 6wpg though, unless you are growing some crazy type of plant that I don't know about.
Also the dimensions on the first link seem a little off. It says 600cmX40cmX5cm. That's 19ftX1.3ftX 2in, this might be a little big ;-).

I think that 2.3wpg is probably the better choice and if there is good reflectors then you should be fine for most plants. Don't forget that all this also has to fit in your plan for the tank. Do you want a high light high maintenance tank or are you looking to have a lower light lower maintenance tank.

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
6wpg is overkill, there is no plant that takes that much light. If you go with 2.3 wpg then you will need to stick with low to low-medium light plants. A good middle ground is 3 to 3.5 wpg. This will give you enough light to grow almost any plant.

·
Super Moderator
7,429 Posts
T5 bulbs are not just ordinary bulbs! 6 watts per gallon of T5 bulbs would make a wood pencil grow!

But, the PC fixture you are looking at doesn't seem to have any reflectors, so they wouldn't give as much light as 2.3 watts per gallon would indicate. I suspect you would be disappointed with that one. If that fixture had AH Supply reflectors it would be about right, in my opinion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts