Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the bad title. I was curious about how I can clean some of my plants that are laced in algae. My anubias are starting to develop holes. these holes are lightly brown around the perimeter. I should probably take some pictures. what kinds of algae? All kinds...

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Bleach dips have been done by lots of folks. I believe it's a 1:20 dilution of bleach to water, but do a search for some info. Anubias are quite hardy and should be able to withstand it. Remember to de-chlor them afterwards!

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
If you want to know if you can use bleach to kill algae, then, yes. Some of the more delicately leaved plants may not live, but anubias and other thicher leaved plants do fine in a bath of 19:1 water:bleach mix for about 3-4 minutes. There is a thread on this in the algae forum area.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...ol-specific-problems/49383-bleach-method.html

Just don't get the bleach into your tank with your fish. They will die.

-Dave

And as kucera mentioned, you should look at the possibility of nutrient deficiency. Are you dosing all the ferts (N,P,K, and micros)?

·
Registered
926 Posts
5% (19:1 luke warm water:Clorox) will put a dent in algae after even a brief dip. Personally, I'd hold the rhizomes/roots up, out of the dip, leaving the leaves in the dip for 30-60 seconds, using a gloved hand to very gently rub the leaves in the infected areas. Then do a good rinse in a couple of buckets containing a little fresh water w/ 2-3x the usual amount of Prime or other dechlor. additive. Then replant.

The roots are more sensitive than teh leaves to the bleach - and there's no reason to hit them (usually).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts