Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Sorry to disagree, but I lost several Amano shrimp when I had 'technical difficulties' the first time I tried charging a H.O.T. Magnum filter with D.E. Within hours I saw them going thru convulsive fits and then they died :( . I had five of them. It's possible it's entirely coincidental, but I'd be very reluctant to allow any of the powder to escape into a system housing inverts again.

I waited more than six months before attempting Amanos again. My second and third batches are now doing fine for me. I'm using the same water source and dosing regimes now as when I lost the first batch. So I still think it was the D.E.

My fish and snails appeared unaffected by the accidental leakage I caused.

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
Sorry to disagree, but I lost several Amano shrimp when I had 'technical difficulties' the first time I tried charging a H.O.T. Magnum filter with D.E. Within hours I saw them going thru convulsive fits and then they died :( . I had five of them. It's possible it's entirely coincidental, but I'd be very reluctant to allow any of the powder to escape into a system housing inverts again.

I waited more than six months before attempting Amanos again. My second and third batches are now doing fine for me. I'm using the same water source and dosing regimes now as when I lost the first batch. So I still think it was the D.E.

My fish and snails appeared unaffected by the accidental leakage I caused.
That would make sense the D.E. power is tiny to us, but to small animals like shrimp it is a sharp, edgy material that will literally cut their insides. I'm not really sure how small an animal has to be to be affected like that. From what I understand D.E. power is used to kill parasites and other small animals in food grain because they injest it and die. I would vaccum out as much as you can and/or remove the smallest of animals in the tank.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have otocinclus, shrimp, and livebearers.

A little bit escaped my filter today as I was trying it out with a Hot Magnum to clear green water (which it did very nicely :D). Now it's a light dusting in some areas of the tank decor.
Do they have a hard shell exoskeleton? If so i would not use as diatomaceous earth will essentially wear through that and kill whatever is housed inside. It is same for fish lizards, cats, dogs , children as long as they arent eating it out of the bag like its candy or breathing it straight in as it causes micro cuts within the body (humans and animals and children)... I hope you found a good response before now because im just realizing this thread is nearly 20 years old.......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts