Aquatic Plant Forum banner

Is Eco Complete responsible for my algae?

6K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  bigstick120 
#1 ·
About 9 months I set up a new tank 20 gal tank using 2 bags of eco complete. For the past 3 months I have a had a persistent problem with a long hair like algae. Its so bad that I have to break the tank down and start over. I dose co2 and longer dose nutirents. Could the Eco Complete be the source of my problems? Please help!!

#2 ·
I would say not... Algae is due to some inbalance, weather it be the ferts, light, C02 etc. I would look at other factors rather then the Eco. If it was hair/string algae, it was most then likely excess nutrients.

#3 ·
I recently started 12G NanoCube DX with Eco-complete. The hair algae started growing almost immediately. My algae eaters arrived on New Years eve and so far are making pretty good progress. They manage to reduce the amount of algae every day so now I worry more about what to feed them when they finish.

I suspect Eco-complete being a source of excessive nutrients in the water in the first 2-3 weeks. I have never seen such rapid growth of algae before

#6 ·
I am just starting out with aquaria. Currently I am transitioning from a humble first effort: a 1.5 gallon betta bowl (with betta) to a 4 gallon Finnex tank with 13w light and filter setup. I need to choose a substrate and have been considering both Flourite and Eco-Complete since both seem to be manufactured with plant growing in mind and both are available at my LFS.

I continue to hear "rumblings" about Eco-Complete and negative orientations towards same. Whereas I have not heard this regarding Flourite (or the Amano stuff for that matter). I'd like to hear more opinions of this issue!

Thanks, Breck

#8 ·
I remeber people on these forums saying that Eco Complete had some batches that were causing problems. A fix was amilky substance added to the product. One of my nags had this milky liquid in it. The other didnt. Also, since the start of my algae outbreak 3 months ago, I stopped dosing. I have not added nutrients since. However, the algae is still growing despite using pressurized co2. The hair algae has gotten so bad I have to tear the tank down and start over. I prolly wont be using eco complete ever again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.