Aquatic Plant Forum banner

What lighting changes will have a positive impact on the reduction of algae?

• Reduce lighting period

Votes: 119 32.1%
  • Reduce lighting intensity

Votes: 45 12.1%
  • Reduce lighting period and intensity

Votes: 83 22.4%
  • Program a "noon" burst of light (ie 3hrs 1.5wpg, 4hrs 3wpg, 3hrs 1.5wpg)

Votes: 36 9.7%
  • Program a lights off "siesta" (ie lights on 5hrs, off for 5hrs, on for 5hrs)

Votes: 33 8.9%
  • Change the spectrum/color temperature of lights

Votes: 24 6.5%
  • I don't know: I never have algae! ;-)

Votes: 31 8.4%
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hello all,

In my 32g tank with a little more than 4wpg I only have GSA on older leaves of Anubias which after several tries I considered as normal to have it. My tank is very heavily planted and all the nutrients are above the suggested levels (perhaps much more). I pump CO2 into the tank with a DIY setup and never take into consideration so called CO2 charts of pH and kH. The onlt indicator for me for CO2 is my fishes responses. Unless u have enough nutrients, co2 and plenty of plant I never considered lighting as a very important issue for algal growth. But anyway due to my working hours and I wish to see my tank when lights on during the time I'm at home, I apply a midday siesta for two hours in my tank. Besides that lights are on for 5hrs in the morning and 2 hours siesta and then on again for app. 8 hours which means that my tank is lighted with more than 4wpg for app 13 hours (which most of you will consider as a long period). So according to my current configuration going for over a year my vote goes for midday siesta. This much and long lighting didn't cause me an alg problem but incredible growth and too much pruning.

YILDIRIM

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.