Aquatic Plant Forum banner

What lighting changes will have a positive impact on the reduction of algae?

• Reduce lighting period

Votes: 119 32.1%
  • Reduce lighting intensity

Votes: 45 12.1%
  • Reduce lighting period and intensity

Votes: 83 22.4%
  • Program a "noon" burst of light (ie 3hrs 1.5wpg, 4hrs 3wpg, 3hrs 1.5wpg)

Votes: 36 9.7%
  • Program a lights off "siesta" (ie lights on 5hrs, off for 5hrs, on for 5hrs)

Votes: 33 8.9%
  • Change the spectrum/color temperature of lights

Votes: 24 6.5%
  • I don't know: I never have algae! ;-)

Votes: 31 8.4%
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've been on both sides--low light and high light. Light is a critical factor in algae issues. High light can create some spiffy plants. I would recommend it for smaller stem plant tanks. Low light can still create nice plants, if you've got the time. I maintained a heavily planted 100g tank for over 2 years with very low light (1.6w NO). Best algae free tank I've ever had; by far the easiest tank to care for by far--moreso than a 20g high light tank.

Overall observations I've made: You need only enough light to grow what you are trying to grow. Adequate light spread is more important than sheer intensity alone. Also, the bigger the tank, the bigger the headache of high light systems. Algae in a 100g? There goes your Sunday.

So I will vote for a reduction in lighting intensity. 10 hours per day at one intensity will provide the best results. I'm trying the "sunburst" method now to see if it works.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.