Aquatic Plant Forum banner

What lighting changes will have a positive impact on the reduction of algae?

• Reduce lighting period

Votes: 119 32.1%
  • Reduce lighting intensity

Votes: 45 12.1%
  • Reduce lighting period and intensity

Votes: 83 22.4%
  • Program a "noon" burst of light (ie 3hrs 1.5wpg, 4hrs 3wpg, 3hrs 1.5wpg)

Votes: 36 9.7%
  • Program a lights off "siesta" (ie lights on 5hrs, off for 5hrs, on for 5hrs)

Votes: 33 8.9%
  • Change the spectrum/color temperature of lights

Votes: 24 6.5%
  • I don't know: I never have algae! ;-)

Votes: 31 8.4%
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think light is the main control for algae. From my experience, in places where the light is not present in the tank (ie under the shade of plant growth or under the aquascaping) THERE IS NO ALGAE.

so here is a true story from experience. i'm a college student. set up a planted tank at home before i left for school. came back thanksgiving to find that algae had completely ugly-fied and taken over the take. i cut off the light source completely. the only light came from ambient light from outside bouncing off my walls. lights out from one whole month. came back home during christmas. viola. no algae present. the plants that i did already have in there certainly weren't high-light plants (banana plant, java fern, java moss, anubias, rotola, microblade) BUT they all survived 100% and were perfectly healthy after the absent of light.

a few questions tho...
i've kept a saltwater tanks before too. one of the most important factors in determining coral growth/health and algae control was water flow. is that true for freshwater aquariums as well? do plants like circulation?

another question: how do you make ur plants GREEN? mine are of course green but they're never as green looking as fresh from the store or as some of your own plants in pictures

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.