Aquatic Plant Forum banner

What lighting changes will have a positive impact on the reduction of algae?

• Reduce lighting period

Votes: 119 32.1%
  • Reduce lighting intensity

Votes: 45 12.1%
  • Reduce lighting period and intensity

Votes: 83 22.4%
  • Program a "noon" burst of light (ie 3hrs 1.5wpg, 4hrs 3wpg, 3hrs 1.5wpg)

Votes: 36 9.7%
  • Program a lights off "siesta" (ie lights on 5hrs, off for 5hrs, on for 5hrs)

Votes: 33 8.9%
  • Change the spectrum/color temperature of lights

Votes: 24 6.5%
  • I don't know: I never have algae! ;-)

Votes: 31 8.4%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
The answer would be Reduce lighting period.
In my sunroom some aquariums are receiving strong direct sunlight. Interestingly, only the aquariums with additional artificial lighting increasing the lighting period are developing GW green water.

Extra long lighting periods makes plants weak and less resistant to algae. The old saying that plants need sleep time is true.

Edward

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
plantbrain said:
Plants do not need that much and algae does do better as higher and higher light intensities are present.
Tom Barr
The 6 Wpg PC aquariums with daily PPS dosing and UV look impressive. It's worth the trouble.

Edward

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Hi standoyo
Some plants under the 6Wpg high light grow denser and shorter. Some actually bend and grow horizontally as they were afraid to come any closer to the light source. Dosing must be done daily keeping the high nutrient demand. If one or two days are missed plants complain by turning reddish in hours. A usual fresh dose returns their mood back to normal like nothing had happened. Water changes are not that necessary because the daily dose has been used up in a day or so. The PPS dose is 2 ml SS, 4 ml PF, 4 drops Mg and 4 drops TE per 10 gallon.

The water flows through a UV sterilizer keeping GW green water away and making crisp clean visibility while having no filter and no filtration in these aquariums. Algae is absolutely 100% non existing.

Thank you
Edward

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Elkmor said:
IMHO, light manipulations, if in appropriate for plants range, doesn't affect algae at all. If plants suffer from deficiency, reducing light will reduce uptake rates, and, therefore, increase plant's health.

Plant's health affects algae much more than light.

Edward, plants aren't afraid to be closer to light source. There are no such thing in nature, like "near light source". IMHO, plants simpler thinks, that they will get much more light by spreading horizontally then by growing up (in case of poor light).

I'm a novice at plants cultivation, but some thing seems to be obvious. ;)
I noticed that under high light intensity a hungry plant turns away from light source and when full of nutrients it turns back. This can be observed in a matter of few hours.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.