Aquatic Plant Forum banner

What lighting changes will have a positive impact on the reduction of algae?

• Reduce lighting period

Votes: 119 32.1%
  • Reduce lighting intensity

Votes: 45 12.1%
  • Reduce lighting period and intensity

Votes: 83 22.4%
  • Program a "noon" burst of light (ie 3hrs 1.5wpg, 4hrs 3wpg, 3hrs 1.5wpg)

Votes: 36 9.7%
  • Program a lights off "siesta" (ie lights on 5hrs, off for 5hrs, on for 5hrs)

Votes: 33 8.9%
  • Change the spectrum/color temperature of lights

Votes: 24 6.5%
  • I don't know: I never have algae! ;-)

Votes: 31 8.4%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious to know what people think...

Given that all your other plant nutrients (including CO2) are available to your plants in adequate (or more than adequate) amounts for your level of lighting, what lighting changes will have a positive impact on the reduction of algae?

Assume that you have let's say 3-4wpg.

·
Premium Member
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can understand the comments re balance.

However, are your tanks *that* delicately balanced that a "fine tuning" of the lights will throw everything off? I don't think so. If so, then you're constantly walking a tightrope and that can't be too much fun!;)

Remember, I'm talking about fine tuning here; not massive changes...

·
Premium Member
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RTR said:
That is exactly why I quit running high light fast growth tanks. I had more algae issues. Lower and slower has a wider safety zone.
I couldn't agree with you more!:D But many people are still convinced that high light plants means that they need 5+wpg. At that high of lighting if you fall behind on ferts it's an algae disaster waiting to happen. That is definitely a tight rope...

I still hear comments about how 2 to 2.5wpg will only let you grow low to medium light plants.

More opinions please! 82 views and 8 votes? [smilie=t: ... speak up!

·
Premium Member
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've recently been experimenting with the noon burst on a tank. Too soon to really tell the impact (only three weeks so far) but I've noticed quite a bit less buildup on the glass. Used to have to clean the glass once a week but now could probably go two weeks without.

The stem plants grow at a more manageable rate too...

I have 2x 39w on for 8hrs and 4x 39w on for 5hrs (the noon burst). So 2x 39 on for 1.5hrs, 4x 39 on for 5hrs and 2x 39 on for 1.5hrs.

There is an excellent set of discussions on light, noon burst and nutrient uptake that I ran into a while ago. Here are some comments by PJAN, who is a plant physiologist based in Holland (and has some beautiful tanks by the way):

(Post 91):
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19984&page=7&pp=15&highlight=light

And again:

(Post 109):
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19984&page=8&pp=15&highlight=light

Further along in the thread are some replies by Tom Barr.

Very interesting reading!

·
Premium Member
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, out of 26 votes so far, 8 votes, or 31%, voted the noon burst of light, followed by 7 votes, or 27%, for reduction of light period. Next comes 6 votes for reduction of light period and intensity.

Interesting that the most votes so far go for the noon burst of light; I didn't realize that so many people were using this method. I'm trying it out and so far I like it. I might even reduce the noon burst further.

More votes/opinions welcome!

And I still want to hear the magic recipe of the person who never has algae! :D

·
Premium Member
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Bill Weber said:
Water change, water change, water change.
With that amount of light you need to do a 50% water change at least every other day. Over time this will reduce the algae in your tank.
I'm puzzled as to what the relationship is between light levels and having to do many large water changes as you suggest?

·
Premium Member
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
mlfishman said:
... Alot of people are trying to shoot for the stars with their tank, and recreate some of the top notch tanks with vivd colors that they see all over the net. ...But if you take the best quality mid to low light tanks and compare them to the top notch high to ultra high tanks the higher light ones are always more stunning in terms of plant quality and color (there are exceptions but for the most part) ...
It depends what one is considering as low, mid and high light tanks. Most of the well known aquascapers that produce those top notch tanks are for the most part *not* using 4+ wpg on their tanks!

·
Premium Member
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Is it true T5's have a lower life span than T8's?
Somehing about less gas.
This is the first time I've heard this. T5s, as far as I know, have a *longer* usable lifespan than T8s...

So far I've been running T5s on planted tanks for just about two years without changing them and still have yet to see a problem. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.