Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tank is 36x18x18 inch which equates to 48.25 gallons. I have 2 T5 3 ft lights which is 78 watts total (39 watts x 2). Calculating the above, I only have 1.625 wpg. Yet I have fuzz or hair algae on the top 1/3 of my stem plants closer to the lights. The 2/3 below my stem plants , the amazon sword and crypts don't not have them.

Is my lighting too intense near the top of the tank ? Or is it just nutrient imbalance ? This does not happen when I used normal fluorescent bulbs where algae are more evenly distributed. Anybody else have this sort of algae issues with T5 ?

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Hi art_b,

The light is always more intense the closer to the bulb that you get. Decreasing by 1/2 the distance from plant to the bulb quadruples (X4) the intensity.

My stem plants definitely are more prone to algae growth as they near the surface. What I do to try to minimize the problem is make sure I have good water circulation throughout the tank, especially near the surface. I also trim my stem plants when they get real tall and either replant the trimmings or take them to the aquarium club or LFS.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.