Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Did you let the dirt breath before you put it in the tank. The El Natural set up suggest spreading out your bagged topsoil and let ammonia gas off overnight before using it in a NPT. Also it is best to sift the dirt before you put it in the tank. I found it easiest to sift it through a window screen.

Perhaps Marsilea minuta would better as carpet plants. They are low light plants.

How about some pictures of the tank?

·
Registered
930 Posts
How about an update?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Here is something I read about anaerobic:
Anaerobic means lack oxygen. All substrates are anaerobic including gravel. The mud that plants grow in, in nature, is also anaerobic. Plants deal with this by forcing small amounts of oxygen through the roots. This allows for aerobic types of good guy bacteria to grow around the roots.

·
Registered
930 Posts
so, it's the bubbles themselves that are bad! that was my suspicion. - and anaerobic conditions can make any soil go bad! .
Not all bubbles are H2S, which gives off the egg odor. If the soil has becomes very anaerobic, do to lack of oxigination, it will release H2S bubbles.

According to colinsk bacteria will reduce the H2S if they have oxygen as a nutrient. Thus perhaps poking the dirt, then doing water change, and then adding bacteria will help. You can add bacteria with API Stress Zyme+Biological.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I'm also planning on using a thin layer of quartz sand as my soil cap
Beware the sand will collect mulm and it is impossible to vacuum up. My first tank had sand over the whole substrate. After 3 months I came to hate it. Now I have a 29 gallon tank with sand in the foreground and fluorite on the rest. Used metal sheets and rocks to divide the 2 substrates. No mulm is on the sand. Just a few pebbles of fluorite are.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts